Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Mevotech ball joints for the 1980 Bronco. Not impressed with Mevotech, but that's another thread.

The passenger side knuckle lower ball joint stud is free to move in the casing after pushing it into the knuckle. Much easier to rotate it in the casing then the passenger upper and the driver's side lower, which is where I stopped tonight. I do not remember it being quite this easy to rotate before it was installed in the knuckle. I installed it using a BJ press, although since my compressed air setup is undersized, I basically wrench-tightened the press and then smacked the screw with a hand sledge. Rinse and repeat. I did have the press set up to press on the vertical top flange face of the casing and not the stud itself.

Can the stud be free to move but still tight in the casing? I'm not interested in removing the knuckle again if I ever get this front end back together. I don't have a reference to determine if this is normal, if I can verify the joint is still good, or if I'm best to push it out and try another joint. The last option doesn't sound appealing, but I'll do what I need to do, or pay someone to do what needs to be done.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,411 Posts
Does it have a full load of grease in it? Sometimes they can be wiggly if dry.

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
once you get the knuckle installed and the nuts tightened, you can test the ball joint normally. the stud being a little loose isn't necessarily an issue. i suppose it's possible you damaged it on installation. getting that knuckle installed and the ball joint nut tightened down and testing would be the best way to check. and it's not that much work to do that little bit.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it have a full load of grease in it? Sometimes they can be wiggly if dry.
It appears to be greased on par with the two other installed joints. I have some marine grade bearing grease I suppose I could lay to it. But nothing noticeably different about it.

once you get the knuckle installed and the nuts tightened, you can test the ball joint normally. the stud being a little loose isn't necessarily an issue. i suppose it's possible you damaged it on installation. getting that knuckle installed and the ball joint nut tightened down and testing would be the best way to check. and it's not that much work to do that little bit.
I have not thought of that, but it wouldn't be much work to bolt it up and test it. I'll do some looking on proper test techniques this evening. I was stuck on needing to put it all back together, only to find out the joint is bad.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,411 Posts
If they arent greasable, then it should be full or grease.

The ingalls brand I got from JBG a few years ago were all tight as hell once i loaded them with grease. Still holding good

1 - 5 of 5 Posts