Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thank you Sir! Yes this is an addiction for sure! Hopefully within the next two months I'll have a nine inch under the rear. The truck i pulled the engine from also has a D44 TTB with 4.10's so i will be swapping that out and re-gearing the 9 inch. Also working on a deal for some 37's. I should probably shave my A/C box and just run it for the heater. We don't need A/C up here anyway!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well i put some 37's on the Bronco last summer and didn't drive it at all this winter. I was too busy racing vintage snowmobiles! Two weeks ago i decided i should probably charge the battery and check the oil and take it for a spin. I forgot just how doggy it was with 3.08 gears and 37's. so i went and got a 9" fron a 78 bronco that was in my buddys junk pile and ordered a set of gears. I traded a transmission swap to another friend for a good 3rd member with a detroit and 4.56 gears in it so long as he got the 4.56's back. I had already removed the D44 front 3rd member from the same F250 I got the engine from as it had 4.10 gears in it and was in great condition. long story short, the Bronco now has 4.10's to go with the 37's! it's nice to have the 1-2 shift happen at 15 mph instead of 40mph! I'll update with pictures later.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This is starting to become a build thread but without all the pics. I find it difficult to take pics while working on the Bronco. So after i got the 9" swapped in and the gear swap was completed, I noticed my transmission issues (which i thought were related to 3.08 gears with 37" tires) were more pronounced. after draining and refilling the transmission and replacing a bent vacuum modulator this C6 feels stronger than it ever has. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago when my homemade lift blocks collapsed and the rear axle tried to take the place of the front axle while climbing a steep hill. Not much fun. so replaced crappy homemade lift block with a set of factory blocks from a 79 F150 replaced broken pinion yoke and worn out U-joint. bronco is back in action and while i was under there, I decided to add this:

I can say that this anti wrap/ traction bar kit from Ruffstuff is pretty beefy! I'll TRY to update with more pics from the install. I'll even try to take a couple pics of what the bronco has turned into over the past couple years.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Wow, I never updated pics but i actually built the anti-wrap bar and got it installed. the only other updates for the bronco recently is removing the factory SD EEC-IV and replacing it with a Microsquirt ECM. I stole my wifes old laptop and installed TunerStudio, stole a mustang tune off the interwebs and adjusted from there. Currently it's been running on Microsquirt for about 6 months. I've had a lot of time to work on the cold start but still not enough. I'm also not a tuner so...i dont really know what im doing. i have been able to get it to start pretty reliably at -20f. Just cranks for longer than expected. Ill try to upload some Pics. I would post an .msq but its not allowed. too nerdy i guess lol

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I did get this finished and it was really fun at 4 lbs for a weekend. The Bronco ran really well with boost coming in at 2200 rpm. AFR was rich at 9.8-10:1. I only had a 1 BAR MAP so i just added 50% more fuel at anything above 75 kPa (i live at 7200ft). It worked well but not ideal. I currently have a 3 BAR MAP waiting to be installed. Sooo... I decided if 4 lbs was that much fun, 10lbs would be even more fun, right? it was, once. now the engine block is torn down in the garage. Im headed to the parts house today to pick up a new set of rings that i will gap to ~.030". I also have a new cam to install as well as an AEM 340 lph in tank pump. Hopefully I'll have it back up and running in a month or so. Hope everyone is well!
Turbo Bronco1.jpg
Turbo Bronco2.jpg

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yo Patrick,
Now you can copy and paste some into a build thread!
I do need to transfer all this to a build thread. I’m just terrible at updating things and taking pics. It’s hard to document build progress while I’m busy building things! Excuses!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts