Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased an '89 Eddie Bauer with the 302, the previous owner installed headers, the EGR pipes are not connected. It ran rough when cold but ran OK once warmed up. Before leaving for Mudfest it would barley run then cleared up, my son made the trip without problems, but was getting terrible gas mileage (9-10mpg). before the trip I replaced the radiator, heater core, hoses, plugs, cap/rotor, solenoid, engine oil/filter, fuel filter, transmission fluid/filter, rear end fluid, brake fluid, cleaned brakes, balanced tires, etc. Once back it was running on the cool side so I decided to change the Tstat installed a 195 degree, added coolant and started the engine it would only run if I kept it reved up. Fuel pressure is 37-40psi, the fuel regulator isn't leaking, I cleaned the idle cotrol valve/motor, insured the EGR position sensor was free and the EGR bellows was good. I was only getting about 10-15 inches of vacuum when it was running. Thanks for any help / ideas.

·
Premium Member
9,995 Posts
Welcome to FSB ~ :thumbup

This is the introduction forum, try the tech forums for this and I would "pull codes" from the computer to see what's indicated :doh0715:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Sounds EGR related. The EGR should be off at startup, otherwise it can make for rough idle. Check your vacuum switches. Works better when warm which is probably why it "cleared up". EGR flood can cause incomplete burning of the fuel leading to bad mileage. The intent of EGR is to cool the combustion chamber therby reducing the formation of NOx and CO2. Might be why your running cool.

Also, what he said.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.