Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Custom W/429
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this Bronco from my brother may he RIP, in 1981. It was the first vehicle I ever owned. I had it painted about 1983 and it was awesome. I put a 429 in it about 1987. Then my first child was born and by 1991 I put it away for a retirement project. I am about 5 years from retirement but the Corona Virus hit and as a locksmith I got laid off for a month. I called a friend with a garage and a rollback and got started.
original bronco.jpg
20200308_094611.jpg
bronco 3.jpg
bronco 4.jpg
bronco 5.jpg
bronco 6.jpg

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
935 Posts
Welcome! Looking forward to your amazing story!. Following your posts.

·
Super Moderator
24,968 Posts
Yo 4X4X429,
Welcome to FSB!
Your brother would be (is) proud that you kept the 78 in the family.

Here is some info for you that you probably know by now:

1978 Bronco Dealer Brochure via member Indybronco

MANY 78 Parts Break-Out Diagrams by member Indybronco (Lula Mae) @ pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

1978 Bronco Emission Component Location Diagrams via 78brncoxlt

1978 Ford Bronco & Truck Wiring Diagrams by Ford via member Bronc Mom @ Demo78 wiring diagram.pdf

1979 Bronco/F Series Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual via member Ziggy; similar to 78.

1979 Wiring Schematics, Connector Pin-outs, etc by member Ranger429 @ 79 wiring schematics
Similar to 78

Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop by Dave Resch @ Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop however, you probably don't need it now.

78 351M/400 Engine Exhaust Emission Control Information Decal & Timing by member grovermyson @ Timing - Do I need to do anything ?

C6 Auto Transmission, if equipped, Description & Operation, Adjustments, Diagnosis & Testing (partial), Disassembly & Assembly, Parts Break-Out Diagram, Hydraulic Control System Diagram, Removal & Installation & Specifications @ https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_155464716156516&key=6ed47b392b9edfe394b9e89b72717104&libId=ju70qeuf01000bgv000MAb4isjltc&loc=https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/6-1978-79-bronco-tech/210246-c6-rebuild.html&v=1&opt=true&out=http://www.thedieselfiles.com/Ford/C6%20Automatic%20tranny.pdf&ref=https://www.google.com/&title=C6 Rebuild - Ford Bronco Forum&txt=Description & Operation, Adjustments, Diagnosis & Testing (partial), Disassembly & Assembly, Parts Break-Out Diag...

Partial Chilton Manual for 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981 Bronco. Scanned by broncocity.com @ Bronco City

Ford Shop Manual Diagrams: 1978-1979 Full Size Shop Manuals, partial @ Technical Diagrams Archives
My Tablet takes too long to download, so try the first in this list as long as you have Adobe Acrobat 9 installed. Let me know if the downloads are worth the effort.
Includes:
Wiring Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Rear Lights Diagram
Motor Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Air Cleaner Diagram
Chassis Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes '78 Brakes Diagram, Gas Tank Setup Diagram
Body Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes; Upper Body Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, heater Ducts Diagram, Tailgate Diagram, Console Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, Grill Setup Diagram, Heater Controls Diagram, Interior Trip Diagram, Rear Sheetmetal Diagram, Tilt wheel Diagram, Tire Rack.

For any Bronco issues or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Build section that requires a 30 post count & Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members).

Our Forum faqs @ FAQ includes for example, How to Use Search and more tips!

➡Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...ech-links.html

Try to find time to Participate and VOTE in our Full-Size of the Quarter & Full-Size of the Year Contests @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes. They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!

Al

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Custom W/429
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats A LOT of info. Thank you. I am sure it will come in handy.

Pulling the 429
bronco 7.jpg

Just got the frame back from blasting
bronco 8.jpg

Anyone that ever pulled the body of of an old bronco, knows what this is.
bronco 9.jpg

I ordered new mounts for position 2 from LMC but no one seems to be selling the mounting brackets for position 1.
I ordered the repair washers and will weld them into place. Unless someone knows where I can purchase position 1 mounts. If anyone has used these repair washers and would like to offer your opinion that would be great. I am worried about getting them perfectly aligned.

·
Super Moderator
14,888 Posts
welcome to the site @4X4X429. Great story..Love seeing these old rigs get brought back to life..Can't wait to see more updates!

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Custom W/429
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was not curious as to why you asked what kind of tires I have on there until I looked. Unless Power Cat is a brand of tire there is no other name on either side. I purchased these tires in the late 80s.

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Custom W/429
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My wife and son want me to have it done exactly as it was, so yes more than likely it will be the same. Except I might use root beer brown as the base. I have never been on any kind of forum before and someone suggested I start posting under the Noobie Bronco tech. If I just start posting updates there will other members still be able to see the beginning of this story.

·
Super Moderator
24,968 Posts
My wife and son want me to have it done exactly as it was, so yes more than likely it will be the same. Except I might use root beer brown as the base. I have never been on any kind of forum before and someone suggested I start posting under the Noobie Bronco tech. If I just start posting updates there will other members still be able to see the beginning of this story.
Yo,
I can move this entire thread to the Noobie section now. And later, once you achieve 30 posts, let me know and I'll move it to the Build section.
Al

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
935 Posts
I was not curious as to why you asked what kind of tires I have on there until I looked. Unless Power Cat is a brand of tire there is no other name on either side. I purchased these tires in the late 80s.
Just looking at the old school tread.

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Custom W/429
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. I am rebuilding my drive shafts and have a question. I have never worked on one before and was wondering if there should be some type of rubber seal on the cv joint in the picture. The universal joints have a rubber seal to keep the water out, it just seams to reason that this joint should have one as well. I know the spring is missing from this pic.
bronco 10.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts