Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
9,690 Posts
GT40P heads suck on big displacment engines. They are a nice cheap head for 5.0L, but not best on 5.8L or larger.

You better skip straight to the 89-93 Mustang computer with the stroker.
Lightning Trucks did not have Mass Air, the Lightning Mass Air kit is over $1000
I could sugest the ultimite laptop tunable Mass Air swap for around $800

9,690 Posts
I still say there was never a production MAF lightning, but you'll have to prove it to me. Also never seen a Speed Density Sequential truck. Sequential is crap, no better than bank fire. You won't ever seen fuel millage gains or responsivness with the sequental system.

Don't get any truck EFI system with a stroker, too much money for what you get. Never use a lightning EFI system, it's lots of meony and JUNK comapired to the Mustang EFI system

9,690 Posts
The problem with any of the Ford Motorsport Mass Air kits is they use A9L computers.
So you're paying 2X to 10X more than you could for used parts.
To deal with the E4OD, you simply use the old computer to run it.
It might sound like a pain in the ass, but it works. One computer for the engine and another for the trans.

No mater how you look at this swap, he has to get educated on the subject fast to build his own harness, or pay lots of money for others to do it.
Here was my bill for the super Mass Air EFI system I have
$200 X3Z computer (new)
$200 8 24lb injectors (new)
$150 70mm MAF sensor (new)
$500 Custom Programable chip
------------------------------
total $1000 then add in the harness work I did my self.

9,690 Posts
All these questions and I'm not feeling my best :brownbag :cry :uke: :wacko

No differences, you just paid more, and got that injector add on harness.
But I heard a rumor of some guy on this site that will convert a truck Speed Density harness to Mass Air using a mustang computer for a very comparable price. :toothless
I'm assuming your kit was $550ish new? $125 for a used computer, $50 for a MAF sensor, then what ever "deal" you work out with that stanger ;)

No I don't have the details on my web site for piggy-backing computers.
Haven't sat down and sorted out the details yet. I could if there was a need. It's only time and money :(
You find the time or money to swap in that E4OD with the Mass Air, I could be persuaded to wire it up.

Can't stick with Speed Density, plan and simple. There is only 1 speed desnity computer than can be tuned with a chip to any usefull outcome. And it's not easy, and hates camshafts.
Not going to save any money with Speed Density in a stroker motor, all roads lead to 1989-93 Mustang Mass Air ;)
How much money and time you spend to learn that determins your EFI IQ :D

Intake is another storry, I sugest the edelbrock performer for a stroker, maybe even a Trickflow

9,690 Posts
Tomh971 said:
It appears that Lightning got Mass Air in 1999... according to both C&L and Pro-M... they both offer MAF upgrade kits for nothing older than th '99 Lightning/Harley Davidson...

hope this helps clear things... :shrug

Um, do more research, LOL.
The 5.8L was used in the 93-94-95 Lightings, not the later Gen II lightnings after 99
The 5.8L got a very basic MAF in 94-95 that is almost useless in performance builds. The 5.8L got OBD-II MAF in 96-97 wich is pretty harsh in older vehicles.

Trust me, keep searching for a way around what I sugest isn't going to get you any closer ;)
1989-93 Mustang MAF is your only hope :twak

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.