Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my new reman 351W in my 95 bronco. Its only got a few miles on it right now and today i set the timing. I set it at 10 degrees, spout connector unpluged. I put the connector back in and started it up but she has a pretty rough idle. Seams like its missing at some times but you can watch the passengers seat bounce a little more than what she use to do with the old motor.

I have brand new spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

So i was thinking, do the PCM's in these trucks have to learn the idle, timing, and everything else? Or is it because its a new motor and its breaking in thats causing the rough idle?

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
did you put a different that factory cam profile in there?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as i know its an all stock 351W crate motor. I didnt touch anything.

·
Registered
226 Posts
OK this may be a dumb question but, did u put it at 10 degress befor top dead center or after? :banghead

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTC no dumb questions here im just lookin for help.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I just installed my new reman 351W in my 95 bronco. Its only got a few miles on it right now and today i set the timing. I set it at 10 degrees, spout connector unpluged. I put the connector back in and started it up but she has a pretty rough idle. Seams like its missing at some times but you can watch the passengers seat bounce a little more than what she use to do with the old motor.

I have brand new spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

So i was thinking, do the PCM's in these trucks have to learn the idle, timing, and everything else? Or is it because its a new motor and its breaking in thats causing the rough idle?
Did it miss before you set the timing? What was the timing before you adjusted it? Any check engine lights?

·
Registered
226 Posts
check your wire order. make sure yhe wirs are all the way on the cap and plugs if that dosent work, check all of your injector plugs make sure ther all pluged all the way in.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Could be just the lifters need to pump a little. Is it clattering a little, like a loose lifter?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I already checked the wires, il recheck tomorrow as well as the injector wires. No ticking or anything like that, sounds smooth, smooth idle.

I had it timed by ear, ran great. I marked the distributer of where i had it before i timed it, found my marks, marked it with a black marker. Timed it, with the spout disconnected and it turned out to be very close to where i had it the first time. Maby i went a little to far. Idk.

Whats the odds of these trucks having to learn the idle through the EEC?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Or is it because its a new motor and its breaking in thats causing the rough idle?
No ticking or anything like that, sounds smooth, smooth idle.
Now I'm confizzled.

If it's misfiring once in a while, it could be something as simple as a loose ignition coil primary connector, an EGR sticking open, malfunctioning EVR (I just fought that little turd), etc. Lotsa little stuff can make it run not so smooth like that. Is it happening all the time, just when cold, just when warmed up...?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sounds smooth but you can feel the roughness in the seat.

yes motor was warm.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Motor mounts are brand new. I just couldnt set a new motor in there without new mounts. Will a pulley thats wobbly create a vibration?

·
Registered
226 Posts
did u tighten the torque converter/flywheel all the way

·
Service before Self
136 Posts
Did you reuse your old harmonic balancer? Those things when old can spin on their mount causing your timing mark to be incorrect....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TC is tight. I didnt want to use the old harmonic balancer but thats a good thing to look into. The smog pump pulley is wobbly because it was siezed, and i tried to get a smaller belt to bypass it but no such luck, so i had to beat it free. Its grinding and everything but it still holds the belt.

the truck is running pretty good. Still a little shakey but my idle stays right where it needs to be, but its not as rough as it use to be. I put some miles on it today and made a highway run. Tomorrow is another highway run. I also checked to make sure all the injector plugs, and any other plug was in correct. Tomorrow il run some codes. Thanks everyone keep the ideas comin.

·
Registered
116 Posts
hey guys I'm fighting my timing right now, I would like to double check that spout connector does it NEED to be disconnected before setting time? And if not could that throw it off enough to let the motor turn over but not start? Thanks for the help

·
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAATTT!!!!
2,970 Posts
Did you let the cam break in properly? 1500 rpm for 15 minutes? Or drive it on an open highway going from 50mph to 30mph, atleast a dozen times? Just a couple of things I learned in class.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
hey guys I'm fighting my timing right now, I would like to double check that spout connector does it NEED to be disconnected before setting time? And if not could that throw it off enough to let the motor turn over but not start? Thanks for the help
Yes and yes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts