Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just recently got a new 40 series flowmaster muffler put on my car by a pretty reliable muffler shop where I live in Dallas. I am a bit confused and worried though because I had one on my old jeep and the Jeep's not only sounded louder, but was a lot more responsive when I drove. It seems when I accelerate my bronco, it's hard to tell the power is kicking in at all. I am almost disappointed by my investment here...Maybe I am missing something? I am not quite sure what to think of it, however if anyone has any ideas on what might be going on that would be helpful. I was wondering if there is any "breaking in" that goes on, because it is BRAND NEW, so maybe it's not worn in at all? Anyways any ideas would be appreciated!! Thanks

Someone mentioned it might be a problem with my cats...I'm kinda confused on how I would go about testing them and getting them fixed if they are messed up. There are only 60,300 original miles on it, I don't see how there could be a problem already?

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Just replacing the muffler without upgrading the rest of the exhaust system won't gain you anything. If you haven't put in bigger pipe and free flowing cats, all you gain is noise.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Yeah, you've got 2 factory cats and a bunch of crimped up restrictive 2 1/4 pipe. It doesn't really matter what's on there for a muffler.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have bigger piping, i didn't just change the muffler... I have one in 2 out now...but when I asked the guy where I got the new muffler and piping put on, he said I already have 2 cats, like you said, but that it wouldn't be necessary to change them? I don't know why I would need to then?

·
Registered
867 Posts
I'm guessing that the inlet is 2 1/4 with 2, 2 1/4 outlets?
You could cut out the cat just before the muffler, this will free up a lot of lost power and sound.
But you would have to have them make a 3 in (that’s what size the pipe is if you cut the cat) reduced to 2 1/4 to fit the muffler.
I did this to my old 95 bronco. On this bronco I bought a 3in inlet and outlet muffler and get a lot better response (cut cat also).
Looking to upgrade my Y pipe, ive heard nothing but good response from this upgrade.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
WilburSimilbur said:
i have bigger piping, i didn't just change the muffler... I have one in 2 out now...but when I asked the guy where I got the new muffler and piping put on, he said I already have 2 cats, like you said, but that it wouldn't be necessary to change them? I don't know why I would need to then?
This is real simple.

You still have the restrictive factory "Y" pipe with the super restrictive factory cats. Those 2 factory "low flow" cats are the choke point both in sound and flow.

What Size engine do you have?

·
Registered
150 Posts
power gains from exhaust systems alone are minimal, especially when compared to other modifications...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yah I cut my cats out because where I live we don't have emissions at all! 45 miles outta here, in Anchorage, they do tho. We just have to pay an extra $45 a year so we don't have emissions! I love it. But yah I went 3" all the way through, finally got a sound clip just now so will be putting that up here in a few mins. I'll be starting a new thread for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts