Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there...Just bought my first Bronco about two weeks ago. It's a 93 white XLT with a 5.8 in it. Only has 52K original miles on it and so far it's been great. The only thing that I'd like to upgrade is the engine. It runs great but I'm looking for some more power of the bolt on variety. The pickup on the low end is great but after about 55mph the oomph dies out. I'm used to driving sportscars and although I know this is a truck and will never have the power of my cars I'd like a bit more power. I do alot of highway driving and I'd like to be able to cruise a bit more comfortably at speeds of 75-85. Any suggestions as far as headers, exhaust, cylinder heads, intake manifolds, and cams would be great. Best bang for the buck. I'm new to fords(always driven japanese and german cars) and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
Well, let's start off simple... a K&N air filter to start is always a good place... Then, not knowing what your budget is... a set of shorty headers and a more free-flowing exhaust. There are plenty to chose from in the way of mufflers, Flowtech, Flowmaster, Dynaflow are among the more popular choices. Some go for the glasspacks due to clearances and like the sound. Some guys remove the catalytic converters. This may not be an option for you as you may reside in an area that does emissions testing/inspection. Which would entail putting them/it back on once a year.

Heads: You can spend a lot of money here... However, if memory serves, the E7TE heads can be ported and made to flow fairly well over stock, but, not great compared to some of the aftermarket heads. The best bang for the buck in Heads are probably the Ford GT40 "P" models, but they require a specific header due to the spark plug angle being changed. Great head, and can be had for under $500/set complete. Or, if money isn't an issue, go for the AFR 185's... about $1500/set complete... other options include the AFR 165's, the TrickFlow Twisteds, the Ford Gt40X303, Gt40Y303, the Ford straigh GT40's. The Gt40's and "P" heads are cast iron, the X & Y303's are alloy... as are the othe brands mentioned... There are others, Dart II, World products, Edelbrocks, etc... ok... this is where my knowledge toward trucks tails off... I'm more of a 'Stanger, than a Bronco guy up to now... These guys are great and can probably add better to the information I've put on the table... But remember, Broncos are not what one would call sleek and aerodynamic... so.... ok guys... I'm a-waitin on the flood gates to open here and correct my misinformation where Bronco's are concerned... I can take it... really... < cowars into the corner... >

Hope some of this helps...

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
by themselves... I agree... but alot of those I mentioned would be fairly useless by themselves...

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
getchastuff said:
Man I'd like a set of AFR 165s for my 5.0 Bronco

but I can't see Santa comin' through for me. Back to the man's 5.8, I agree with the K&N air filter and a better exhaust system. Read about mine elsewhere in the reply to the guy about exhaust system upgrades or something like that title.

To add to that, go out and buy the MSD or similar TFI aftermarket coil and open up your plug gaps to .055 or even .060 and watch what happens. The MSD-6 or better just seems to smooth things out, spend on the coil first.

Get the best plug wires money can buy, I'm running Taylor spiro pros and they're great.

That's all I'm good for right now

Sixlitre

1 - 6 of 6 Posts