Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 93' today. It has 200K miles, a fair amount of rust, and some other minor issues. I bought this to be my winter beater as well as a backup while I work on my Mustang. I didnt plan on doing much with it at first but I would like to take care of as much of the rust as possible as well as the trim pieces. Then after winter I will likely break the motor down and replace all the seals, gaskets, and whatever else to get some more life out of it. Make sure the axle assemblies/suspension/transmission etc. is in decent shape.

Anyway im a complete noob to trucks and will have plenty of questions along the way. Im going to do some research before I start firing off questions though.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
have fun, use the search bar first, and post pictures!

and welcome!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just bought a 93' today. It has 200K miles, a fair amount of rust, and some other minor issues. I bought this to be my winter beater as well as a backup while I work on my Mustang. I didnt plan on doing much with it at first but I would like to take care of as much of the rust as possible as well as the trim pieces. Then after winter I will likely break the motor down and replace all the seals, gaskets, and whatever else to get some more life out of it. Make sure the axle assemblies/suspension/transmission etc. is in decent shape.

Anyway im a complete noob to trucks and will have plenty of questions along the way. Im going to do some research before I start firing off questions though.
Your plans may change once you start working on it. It can get kind of addicting. Welcome :thumbup

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure thing and thank you. Im really busy this week but on monday I plan on atleast cleaning the inside and outside. I bought it from a tow yard for what the owner owed to have it towed. The guy didnt take care of it at all and the inside was filthy and had a bunch of junk in it. I will likely post some before and after pics. I don't know if I will have time Monday to shampoo the carpet but hopefully sometime this week. Also the rear tires are smaller than the front so I need to put some equal sized tires on it before its inspected. I also need to replace the driver side door hinges.

Where can I find some cheap driver door hinges for this thing?

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
junkyards are your friends, and dont forget, anytihng that can fit in your pocket is free.99

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your plans may change once you start working on it. It can get kind of addicting. Welcome :thumbup
Im kind of addicted to modding my mustang so I know how that is. Im trying to avoid overhauling the suspension and doing a lot with the drivetrain. If I find myself with the money though, why not!

·
Super Moderator
26,992 Posts
yo,
Do you have any maintenance records on it? If not, contact a dealer to see what maint was done to it a Ford dealership in the past (need VIN)
or on-line dealer service record summaries (Ford is adding entries now), etc. at myford.fordvehicles.com

Also get the maint shcedules (reg and severe duty)

If no maint records are avail; check and replace, if needed all filters and fluids.
Esp if it is an Auto tranny fluid & level; no burnt toast or whitish (water) deposits on dip stick.

I have a post here on the level check frommy 96's owner's guide, for hot and cold level readings. Here it is from Workshop Manual for 96
Check Fluid Level and Condition

Fluid Level Check
MERCON® is being replaced by MERCON® V as a Service Fluid TSB 06-14-04 for 80-96 Bronco & all Fords to Current
ACTION: Beginning immediately all automatic transmission / transaxle applications requiring MERCON® can now be serviced using MERCON® V or MERCON® Automatic Transmission Fluid or dual usage fluids labeled MERCON® / MERCON® V. After July 1, 2007, MERCON® Automatic Transmission Fluid will no longer be manufactured, therefore, availability of this fluid will only continue for however long it takes to deplete what remains in inventory.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
Service automatic transmissions requiring MERCON® with MERCON® V or MERCON® Automatic Transmission Fluid or dual usage fluids labeled MERCON® / MERCON® V
CAUTION: Vehicles equipped with 4x4 applications must have the 4x4 gearshift selector lever in any position other than neutral.
NOTE: If the vehicle has been operating for an extended period at high speeds or in city traffic during hot weather, or pulling a trailer, the vehicle should be turned off for about 30 minutes to allow the fluid to cool before checking.
Under normal circumstances, you do not need to check the fluid level of the transmission, since the vehicle does not use up transmission fluid. However, if the transmission is not working properly, for instance, the transmission may slip or shift slowly, or if you notice some sign of fluid leakage, the fluid level should be checked.
It is preferable to check the transmission fluid level at normal operating temperature after approximately 32 km (20 miles) of driving. However, if necessary, you can check the fluid level without having to drive 32 km (20 miles) to obtain a normal operating temperature if outside temperature is above 10°C (50°F).
With the vehicle on a level surface, start the engine and move the transmission gearshift selector lever through all of the gear ranges allowing sufficient time for each position to engage. Securely engage the transmission gearshift selector lever in the park position, fully set the parking brake control (2780) and leave the engine running.
Wipe off the fluid level indicator cap, pull thefluid level indicator (7A020) out and wipe the indicator end clean. Put the fluid level indicator back into the fluid filler tube and make sure it is fully seated. Pull the fluid level indicator out and read the fluid level.

CAUTION: The vehicle should not be driven if the fluid level is below the bottom hole on the fluid level indicator and outside temperature is above 10°C (50°F).

When checking fluid at normal operating temperature, the fluid level should be within the crosshatched area or HOT marked area on the fluid level indicator. When the vehicle has not been driven, and outside temperature is above 10°C (50°F), the fluid level should be between the holes or COLD marked area on the fluid level indicator.
more in my post @ http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189566

Here is what I do to search for parts;
I use http://www.fordparts.com
go thru the drill
If you find the part, copy the Ford long version part number or the short version.. and then do a google
I try to get the Ford Motorcraft parts via AMAZON; they are VG at delvy and esp pricing; I bought a $150.00 Motorcraft DPFE Sensor for $50.00 with free shipping and no sales tax; Local dealers wanted 150.0 + sales tax
same price & discount for an Idle Air Control (IAC)

In my broncolinks.com site, I have a Parts Sources section that includes Ford MC on -line Catalogs for Brakes, Belt & Hose, Electrical Switch , etc. w/Ford Part Numbers & Illustrations as well as Interchange info for many (shows where part was used on other Bronco years & Ford truck/cars and years for yard searches.

I also have a FREE BRONCO SPECIFIC PRINTED PARTS CATALOGS Section for your late night reading pleasure.

For body parts, look for CAPA Certified Parts Database Search Results at www.capacertified.org - The Certified Automotive Parts Association (CAPA) is a non-profit organization established in 1987 to develop and oversee a test program guaranteeing the suitability and quality of automotive parts. CAPA encourages competition in the marketplace in the hope that their program will ultimately reduce expense to the consumer and the industry while increasing and assuring part quality

Some results from that List; (most Hot Links take you to the manufacturer's site... they sell thru various distributors and parts place such af Jeff's and RockAuto.com,
LMC TRUCK® (Long Motor Corporation; http://www.longmotor.com/) - Bronco/Ford truck parts & accessories & 80-96 Bronco weather stripping & camper top side window sliders (Manufactured by C.R. Laurence); Click Free Catalog,

National Parts Depot http://npdlink.com/ - Bronco/Ford truck parts & accessories; Click Order your Printed NPD catalog,
JC Whitney, etc.)

Cobra King Industry (Taiwan) - CAPA certified doors & fenders for 80-96

Cross Canada - Bronco & Ford truck body parts, CAPA certified, 78-96 & EB

Discount Auto Parts - parts & accessories - Bronco Tailgate CAPA Certified Part E8TZ9840700A, bumpers, fenders, weatherstripping, etc.

Gordon - Bronco/Ford truck CAPA certified fenders, door shell, hood, tailgate (83-93 & probably to 96) IT HAS SOME LANGUAGE POP-UPs... but AVG shows it to be clean; and I just cancel the pop-up..

Keystone® Automotive Industries, Inc - CAPA body parts, wheel refinishing, etc.
TYC™ Genera. - CAPA certified Bronco head lights

usautobodyparts.com - Bronco/Ford truck body parts; Some are CAPA certified (HOOD *CAPA* F383J E4TZ16612B 1980-1986 $128.25, FENDER RIGHT SIDE (Primed) (Passenger Side) *CAPA* F376H E1TZ16005B 1980-1986 $71.85, DOOR SHELL FRONT RIGHT (Passenger Side) *CAPA* F413D E4TZ1520124A 1980-1986 $126.60, headlight panel, stone deflector; & TAILGATE *CAPA* F4222 E8TZ9840700A 1983-1993 $297.00)

Wheeler's Autobody Supply - Bronco/Ford truck body parts w/Ford part numbers; some are CAPA certified, incl. stone deflector, headlight & tail light assy, door shell, fender, hood, tailgate

Rockauto.com indicates at times, that a part is CAPA certified; VARIOUS MFR Part # FO1900106; {#E8TZ9840700A, F4TZ9840700A, FOTZ9840010A} Rear gate shell [CAPA Certified] $237.79

GL!

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
I too, bought myself a 93 Bronco to use while working on my 01 Mustang Gt, and, my 82 fox coupe, with only having plans on using it in severe weather to save my precious car. I have since pretty much abandoned my fox, and hardly ever drive my GT. Oh, and I lifted it and plan to do much more to it.. But the fact remains, I am saving the Stang!! Good luck !!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well, I have actually always been a GM guy and had a few Trans Am's over the years that I loved. As much as I still love a fast car, now that I am married and getting older I wanted a toy that I could use more year round that would be fun in the summer, 4x4 for winter and taking hunting. I really like the 2 door Tahoes that Chevy made but liked the removable top on the Bronco... and honestly I think the Bronco looks nicer than Chevy's old K5's... next thing you know I own my first Ford!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts