Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been a jeep owner for several years and took plunge into buying a bronco last weekend.

It's a 1995 5.0 with 150000 miles and is in reasonably good shape. I paid 1900 bucks for it. Runs and drives fairly decent and everything seems to work.

the biggest issue is that I'm getting a squeaky squeal from I think the drivers side front. PO said he did the wheel bearings. I put it on the floor Jack and upon grabbing the tire there is some wiggle to it. So I'm wondering if he didn't do it right or if the spindle bearing needs done. Any advice?

Other issues-
1) some kind of whine that I can't pinpoint. Rear end maybe.

2) light tap in the engine. Lifter Im guessing.

3) front wheels have positive camber. He just put new springs on - I think they are factory height. But front end is an inch or two higher than rear.

4) the brakes sort of grab when pressed hard without having a progressive braking feel.

Is welcome any help. I'm trying to decide whether to spend money on a small lift and new tires or to wait and see how big any problems I have are.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add that the vehicle is pulling to the left mildly. So I'm tbinkimg either a brake or bearing issue for sure on drivers side.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,171 Posts
I'd get everything else sorted before spending the $$ on the lift and tires..if you have a squeaking sound coming from the front and play when you wiggle the tires, address that first. Seems like new bearing are probably in order, the guy may not have done them correctly..take care of that now before it becomes a bigger problem..

if the brakes are grabbing they may have recently been done and the rears weren't adjusted properly.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Should I go for the spindle bearing as well or just try wheel bearing and see if that fixes it.

I noticed he did screw up the radius arm bushing which he recently redid. It wasn't assembled correctly so his slills may not have been so great.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
If you're replacing the bearings, keep in mind that there are TWO different spindles used on the Bronco, depending on weather it came with auto or manual hubs from the factory. Also keep in mind that even if it has factory manual hub locks on it, it can still have the auto hub spindle with the manual adaptor kit installed with factory manual locks. What this boils down to is check the part numbers on the bearings before you go getting a new set, or be prepared to take the first set back when they don't fit and get the other size spindle bearings. Other than checking the bearing part numbers, I really don't know how you can tell which spindle set you have, since almost ALL auto locking hubs were eventually replaced with manual locking hubs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good advice. The drivers front wheel did squeak a little when I had it off the ground and spinning last Friday. Since then it's gotten louder. It's not my daily driver so it's just sitting right now.

Also on both sides, the wheel and hub Is quite hot after driving, especially the lug nuts. Holding your fingers on them for more than a few seconds Would burn them. I am not getting any metal burning smell - not yet. I bought new outer bearings today for both sides.

The squeak now has over powered the whine , at least some. It's not the fuel pump. At least I don't think so - because the whine rises and falls in pitch alomg with wheel speed.

I can hear the fuel pump quietly humming/whining at idle.

As far as the engine tapping, It seems most obvious after stepping on gas in neutral and releasing the throttle. As engine winds down it makes the clicking rattle that is in time with rpm. You can hear it at idle and upon acceleration too. Though I'm wondering if it is more of a spark knock because at full throttle whej accelerating it seems to make a looser rattle noise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've done some more reading up on the wheel bearings and see that I need inners as well as spindle bearings it looks like.

Though I'm confused - are the spindle bearings on turning in 4wd?

So you are tbinkimg the hot hubs is a brake issue?

I'm a bit nervous about getting my bearings out and not being able to get them back in. It sounds like the inner bearings are tricky in that regard.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,171 Posts
I've done some more reading up on the wheel bearings and see that I need inners as well as spindle bearings it looks like.

Though I'm confused - are the spindle bearings on turning in 4wd?

So you are tbinkimg the hot hubs is a brake issue?

I'm a bit nervous about getting my bearings out and not being able to get them back in. It sounds like the inner bearings are tricky in that regard.
Unless you have another problem, the axle shaft will only turn inside the spindle in 4 wheel drive.

Hot hubs could be brakes but it could also be bearings..

There are plenty of threads on the site that cover the removal and installation of bearing, just takes some time and the right tools but it's easily doable for any moderately skilled person.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've confirmed that the front wheels are free spinning and that the driveshaft Is not turning with the wheels when in 2wD.

So it's safe to conclude that any noise from the front wheels is not the spindle bearing correct?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,171 Posts
I've confirmed that the front wheels are free spinning and that the driveshaft Is not turning with the wheels when in 2wD.

So it's safe to conclude that any noise from the front wheels is not the spindle bearing correct?
correct

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok - so I pulled the drivers side rotor off today. I live in an apartment without a proper work area so I only put in new bearings and didn't do the races. I'm going to go back and do them is the spindle bearing now that I feel more confident.

After test drive I thought my issue was fixed, the squeaking seemed gone. But as I pulled into the parking garage I heard it still, though much more faintly. Again he seemed to only happen after the hubs got hot. So despite not doing the races which I know is half ass, I'm a bit frustrated that Im still getting some noise and the hubs on both sides are getting quite hot. Though I imagine that might very well be normal as a result of braking action.

or my brakes could be hanging - but It seems pretty equal on both sides.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One thing I forgot to mention - the auto locking hub didn't have a c washer in either side. I believe that goes between either the castle nut and the spacer or between the spacer and the hub assembly.

What does that part do? Seemed strange it wasn't on either side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts