Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Ford Bronco XLT, I6, 5 Speed manual(M5R2),EFI Intake\Exhaust,Thrush Welded Muffler 2.5" Exhaust
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I painted my 87 Bronco 2 weekends ago and am pretty pleased with the results. This is the 4th vehicle I've painted. I used TCP Global's Restoration Shop single stage Acrylic Urethane paint. Quarter Mile Red and Championship White.

My setup is pretty basic, a 30 gallon air compressor, water/oil separator, desiccant dryer. I paint outdoors in my driveway. For all of that, I get pretty consistent results.

Prep is the key. Removed all badging & trim. Stripped off the tape between the red and white paint. Sanded all surfaces to be painted with 180 grit sandpaper, then 320 grit. Wiped it down several times with acetone, then with a tack rag.

Before. Original paint in good overall shape, but faded.

After:

·
Registered
1993 Ford Bronco XLT 5.0
112 Posts
It looks damn good in the pictures. Deep gloss. Did you cut and polish after? The trim pieces and badges will help break up the red. Nice work.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
223 Posts
That looks pretty clean before, and the after looks like a whole new vehicle. I hope mine comes out half that nice once I get around to paint.

·
Registered
1987 Ford Bronco XLT, I6, 5 Speed manual(M5R2),EFI Intake\Exhaust,Thrush Welded Muffler 2.5" Exhaust
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really appreciate the positive comments!

My main point in creating this post though was to point out that with minimal equipment(air compressor, Harbor Freight paint gun, respirator), quality single stage automotive paint(TCP Global) and some practice, you can get pretty decent results. Are there some runs in my paint? Yes, a few. Is it a show quality, up close paint job? No. But for me, it looks a lot better, will help keep the body from rusting and it's something that I was able to do on my Bronco.

So, if you're wanting your vehicle painted, consider doing it yourself! It's a time consuming, labor intensive job, but when it's done, it something you can be proud of and you can keep $$$ in your pocket. Oh, and the actual painting is the fun part. The sanding, and sanding, and sanding, cleaning, taping, etc. is the hard part.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
223 Posts
So, if you're wanting your vehicle painted, consider doing it yourself!
This is exactly my plan, to see how good (or bad) of a job I do, I look forward to the day, once I do all the rust repair, that I can start thinking about painting it!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
WOW

Painted it with a 30 gallon compressor? Most of the research I have done claims a 60 gallon is mandatory to use a HPLV because of the CFM requirements? This opens up whole new possibilities to get away with a 120V compressor that I can actually move around. Are you using the same compressor for air tools?

The results look much better than I expected or need.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a Home Depot Husky 30 gallon, 175 PSI compressor. It runs some when I'm spraying, but I have never run out of air. I use the HF HVLP paint gun(purple one) with about 28 PSI at the gun. I use the compressor for air tools too. Since I don't use it everyday(not a commercial unit), it has held up fine for 2 years so far. Read up on home compressor setups (longer hoses, water separator, desiccant air dryer) to eliminate water in the air, particularly since the compressor will run some while you spray. I've been able to get consistent results on several cars now and feel pretty confident if I had another one to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks really good!! Thanks for posting what equipment you used I’m getting ready to start prepping mine for paint (my first attempt) this is helpful!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a similar setup. What is the reasoning on single stage vs. base and clear? Would you ever attempt base and clear in your driveway setup?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a similar setup. What is the reasoning on single stage vs. base and clear? Would you ever attempt base and clear in your driveway setup?
I've always been pleased with the shine and DOI of the single stage. and I've always thought that if I needed to touch up something it would be easier\simpler to do if it was single stage. Several of the cars that I've done(the Bronco included) are older and I like the "patina" of the single stage. I've thought about doing base and clear, and I actually have a gallon of clear, but I've just never done it. I don't see why clear would spray any different than the single stage color that I've been doing, so I wouldn't have any concerns about spraying it like I do the SS color.

Of note, the single biggest issue I have painting outside is bugs. The damn things seem attracted to the paint, so I end up with bugs in the paint.

Examples:

Reactions: SRWillis

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here was my first attempt at base and clear. Waited for a low humidity low wind day for the final layers. Bugs were not out, thankfully. I may put up some sort of enclosure to try to keep bugs out while drying. I am not looking for anything better than a good 10 ft paint job. I expect some runs that I will have to buff out. Hoping to avoid any orange peal .
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks really good to me!

·
Registered
492 Posts
And here I am having just resanded mine down in order to try and get a better finish for repainting mine. Way to make me feel like even more of an amateur lol

Reactions: Brad613

·
Registered
169 Posts
WOW

Painted it with a 30 gallon compressor? Most of the research I have done claims a 60 gallon is mandatory to use a HPLV because of the CFM requirements? This opens up whole new possibilities to get away with a 120V compressor that I can actually move around. Are you using the same compressor for air tools?

The results look much better than I expected or need.
It depends on how much cfm's your gun uses.
I use the tcp global budget hvlp guns and they use less than 7 cfms.
My Emglo contractor wheelbarrow air compressor, when set to constant run, will keep up with these guns, in most cases.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts