Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey my dad is giving me his old bronco for winter ( i have a 97 dakota thats going on airbags during winter)
ive always loved custom vehicles lowered or lifted
so im gonna jack the shit out of this bronco
any one have any tips on how to get the most lift and what about doing a sas?
just need more information about raising trucks since i have not done this yet
its either a 78 or 79 bronco i forget right now :duh
and he does have a parts truck with it both have the ford 9'' rear end could i use one of them for sas
just give me any info you can thanks :popc1:

·
Registered
170 Posts
First thing I would recommend is read. If you are planning on doing a SAS (Straight Axle Swap) on a truck that already has a straight axle, you have a lot to learn before you embark on a big lift. :eek:

Do you mean you want to swap in better axles? What are your specific questions?

Also watch the language - if you need to use profanity - go to pirate :goodfinge

Their are a lot of good people here that are willing to help you out. But do some research and come back with some specific questions and we can help point you in the right direction, and keep you from making mistakes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well should i stick to using lift coils in the front? so far ive researched that you can get 9'' lift springs(biggest lift i could find) correct? and how would i get the front higher than that

and in the back ive read that you can get up to 6'' with the leaf springs another 2.5-3'' with the reverse shackle kit, and than the rest with blocks correct?

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
9" of lift is plenty big. You're looking at doing a lot more to make things work right with a lift of that size than you would with a 4" or 6" lift. Its pretty easy to get in over you're head if you have bigger than normal plans and limited funds and facilities...

·
Registered
467 Posts
I get the feeling we are going to see pictures of this truck in a year or two with stacked blocks and bailing wire. Brake lines being used as limiting straps.......

9" of lift is a lot of lift and is going to cost some money to do it right. Don't use blocks at all. I know they are cheap. Shackle flip and new springs will get you there and it will ride a hell of a lot better. New front and rear drive shafts. New adjustable track bar. New Shocks. New front springs. Drop pitman arm. All new brake lines. You will want to upgrade the brake system to handle the bigger tires and a HD power steering pump to turn the bigger tires. You need to beef up the motor and or change the ring & pinon gears to a lower gear set to move the bigger tires. And if you plan on actually wheeling the truck (not a mall cruiser) then you will just want to replace the front and rear axles with D-60s and lockers.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don't understand..........are you looking for something reliable while your dakota is getting bagged? Cuz this aint the way to do it.

6" is a good amount of lift and will get you bigger tires than most other street trucks you see. Hell I'm running 4" and 35s and most people think my truck is "huge". I think the key is to run a really wide tire, it looks more impressive.

·
yes
1,769 Posts
My question exactly. What size tires you planning to run?

Out of the box 9 inch spring lift & 3 inch body lift is all you can do. Above that it's full custom.
:stupid

Don't use blocks. What size tires are you looking to run? and what are you going to do with it? (street drive or off road)

·
Registered
103 Posts
My first quetion is what are you planning on useing the truck for? Are you going to wheel it or do you have short mans syndromew and fell you have to have the tallest truck in the mall parking lot? A 4-6" lift will give you plenty for any normal wheeling, if you are going to mud bog it then you need to find some stronger axles before you put a 9" lift on it.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Using bricks as blocks made more sense than the initial post from AM*L*LL.

I really want to see this Bronco with the axle swaps (Replace the D44 with the Ford 9") and 9 inches of lift.

Recommend you buy a jeep and join pirate they can enhance your knowledge on lifting a vehicle to the heights you would like.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so after doing research i dont wanna go with 9'' of lift its alot more work than i first intended to
im going to wheel it a bit but i also need it to drive daily so i dont wanna wreck to much on it
so say i was to lift it 4-7'' what all is needed
i prefere not to use blocks i would rather get new leafs and flip the shackle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts