Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have had a few calls recently for the factory tapered blocks that are under the leaf springs. Are you guys breaking them? Is there a need for an improved version? Are you still running them? If not what did you do in place of them?

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
A stronger version for my '90 would be great. I saw a picture "I think on this website" of a failed block and it messed some stuff up on the guy's truck. The problem is, they would have to be priced so that people wouldn't say "ill just carry extra's from the junk yard" I believe that people will buy ANYTHING that will be an improvement on their truck especially when they are off road. Could the improved block be big enough so the U-bolts pass through the block and make it impossible to dislodge it ?

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
A stronger version for my '90 would be great. I saw a picture "I think on this website" of a failed block and it messed some stuff up on the guy's truck. The problem is, they would have to be priced so that people wouldn't say "ill just carry extra's from the junk yard" I believe that people will buy ANYTHING that will be an improvement on their truck especially when they are off road. Could the improved block be big enough so the U-bolts pass through the block and make it impossible to dislodge it ?
theres and idea:thumbup

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
So we have had a few calls recently for the factory tapered blocks that are under the leaf springs. Are you guys breaking them? Is there a need for an improved version? Are you still running them? If not what did you do in place of them?
I got rid of them before I broke them. The problem as I see it is they are stronger than the perches on the 9" housing. The perches roll, and the wedges get cracked by having the force on them concentrated at a smaller area than was intended, as well as the rolling action of the perch trying to spit the wedge out of position.
It's a simple matter to fab or buy replacement perches and weld them in at the correct angle to eliminate the need for the angle wedges, since their function is to correct the pinion angle an f-150 rear axle to work in a Bronco wheelbase.
In my opinion a stronger wedge is not the solution to the problem.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,985 Posts
Yes, sign me up. I have broken two, and they are hard to find in Junkyards around here.
I think some good solid steel ones would be great, I would buy three sets right now if you had them
I've taken a broken one to a couple of machine shops to get a quote on making some. But they have all been too busy to do it

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got rid of them before I broke them. The problem as I see it is they are stronger than the perches on the 9" housing. The perches roll, and the wedges get cracked by having the force on them concentrated at a smaller area than was intended, as well as the rolling action of the perch trying to spit the wedge out of position.
It's a simple matter to fab or buy replacement perches and weld them in at the correct angle to eliminate the need for the angle wedges, since their function is to correct the pinion angle an f-150 rear axle to work in a Bronco wheelbase.
In my opinion a stronger wedge is not the solution to the problem.
I agree with this but the wedges add about 1" of lift so then you get into all sorts of variations of leaf springs.

The wheels are turning keep the ideas coming. I'm thinking a redesigned perch tall enough to cover the 1" of course that requires welding which can be an issue for some customers.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
make them 3/8" thicker than stock and you have a winner.

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
I agree with this but the wedges add about 1" of lift so then you get into all sorts of variations of leaf springs.

The wheels are turning keep the ideas coming. I'm thinking a redesigned perch tall enough to cover the 1" of course that requires welding which can be an issue for some customers.
My recollection is they add about 1/2" of lift, but I get your point. If I were in the parts business, I'd sell the parts the customer asks for. It would be nice to have a SOLUTION available, but I realize that isn't what everyone wants. I don't think there is a bolt-on solution in this case.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
make them 3/8" thicker than stock and you have a winner.
Jopes is on to something....and it does not say Baaaaaa:rofl:

Make them 1/2" thicker than stock, and make them to fit Ford springs. I have shims for chebby springs on mine now and they are not as wide as the spring.

It would also be a good idea to offer them in varying degrees to shim pinion angle.....4, 6, 8, 10 degrees would be a good place to start. I would assume a low carbon HRS would be fine....no need for anything fancy.

BTW, I am really impressed with Wild Horses interest in and growing product mix for the 78-79. Thanks for supporting us!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I like the built in offset to the rear the factory part has. If you could make one that wouldn't end up in pieces I don't suppose any other method of retaining it is really required - they already have pins top and bottom. As far as price point - I'm not sure if I'd be willing to pay more than $25 or $30 each but at $25 it would be a sure thing... I've pretty much exhausted the local supply of them. :histerica

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Ruff Stuff already make steel shims (angle blocks).

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
78 Bronco460, What vehicle did these come on ? Do they have the correct bolt spacing, size, angle .... for the '90 Bronco ?

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The one I've been getting calls for are on the 78-79 Bronco. That is my focus right now. There are a number of ways to solve this. I appreciate all the feed back. We might end up with more than one fix for the problem.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
So no one else can make them? :doh0715: Competition is good for consumers.
sure competition is good for consumers however if you can't make a little profit on your product then it is not worth while to build being that the focus is on the 78-79 bronco then the market is a real small segment, so over all to the cost of research and production cost will be higher then normal as it takes longer to spread it out over several sales the nature of the beast of custom specialied stuff not many people will fork out the extra money for a superior product when they can spend less for something that kind of works instead

·
yes
1,769 Posts
sure competition is good for consumers however if you can't make a little profit on your product then it is not worth while to build being that the focus is on the 78-79 bronco then the market is a real small segment, so over all to the cost of research and production cost will be higher then normal as it takes longer to spread it out over several sales the nature of the beast of custom specialied stuff not many people will fork out the extra money for a superior product when they can spend less for something that kind of works instead
I completely understand that, I wasn't saying that they shouldn't make a profit. Its all stuff they need to take into consideration, and if they have been doing the marketing research they should already be aware that RuffStuff makes them as well as the price. So if they can't produce a same quality or better for cheaper they probably wont sell...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts