Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
My name is TJ. I found this site yesterday while looking for info on rebuilding (Starting) a project Bronco.

I just got a 93 to rebuild that is in Great Shape except for the 302 in it has no compression. It is basically stock - THe only mods that I know if to date are in the suspension and they are minor
1. Add-a-leaf in the rear to support the trailer it pulled
2. Coil Springs from a F250 2wd in the front to support the bumper and winch
3. badly worn BFG Mud Terrains that used to measure 33

I was just going to put in a new 302 and some new shoes but now I am wanting to build a "Nice" "Funtional" Off Road machine.

Before I dig into it I would like to get some suggestions from those that have been there done that.
I thought of the whole warranty issue on the motor but then decided that I want this to be totally what I would want in the ultimate 4x4 so that may not be possible to have the best of both worlds (Warranty and 4x4 Power).
Is it better to buy a long block or start piece by piece?
If going the piece by piece route - What should they be?
Brands? Where to go to get them? etc.

I am not a mechanic by any sense of the word. I grew up wheeling and tinkering on trucks in the backyard. My only knowledge comes from fixing things as they broke. I enjoy learning how it all comes together rather then just buying something and having someone else put it in or on So - Any suggestions on what to do with the motor/suspension or links explaining certain steps would be greatly appreciated.

It is going to be a learning experience as I go.

Thanks again for any info you guys and girls might be able to offer!!!
TJ

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
I would go the warranty route. Go to www.ford-motors-engines.com and get one of those. Get a good cam, intake manifold, headers, throttle body, that kind of thing. You should have plenty of power.

And, if you plan on getting a lift, I would jump on a dead for a Cepek 6" lift that is for sale right now. The cepek lifts are considered the best TTB lift out there, and this one is brand new and dirt cheap.
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7049

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
Welcome to the site, I was wondering when some of you W.F. texans would show up around here. Everytime I'm down there I suprised by the number of Bronco's I see cruising around...For a small texas town you got lots of em......... I would also go with the warrenty block from Ford if it was me. And I may be biased, but Dick Cepek Lifts are pretty darn tuff. BDS is also good. take care--Fog

With all those Broncos around down there, There's gotta be a good Treasure yard around there somewhere with a whole pile of good Bronco parts in it. I hav'nt found it yet, but it's got to be around somewhere...........Fog

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
SquattyD said:

And, if you plan on getting a lift, I would jump on a dead for a Cepek 6" lift that is for sale right now. The cepek lifts are considered the best TTB lift out there, and this one is brand new and dirt cheap.
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7049
Do you really have to jump on the deceased to get the lift? how many times? How long do they have to be dead? Are we talking people are just anything that is dead? Do you send the photo of you doing it in to get the lift? Or do they have to witness you doing it?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
SMOOTH said:
Do you really have to jump on the deceased to get the lift? how many times? How long do they have to be dead? Are we talking people are just anything that is dead? Do you send the photo of you doing it in to get the lift? Or do they have to witness you doing it?
rotf

smooth--> :twak <-- Damager

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input, I will look at www.ford-motors-engines.com .

Squatty D -
Get a good cam, intake manifold, headers, throttle body, that kind of thing. You should have plenty of power
- Thats exactly the info Im looking for. What are folks using for those parts and what would most stay away from.
That is a good deal on the lift. Im not a big fan of lifting though, I would rather cut out the wells to fit in a set of 33s or 35s. Must be from growing up on the beach. The higher you go the worse it was in the sand to control. But maybe a 4 inch lift will do the trick.

Foghorn - Yeah - I see a bunch here. I was surprised at the price I got this one for considering the condition. They are proud of their vehicles in this small Texas town.
When I was in Anchorage, it was Land Cruiser country. The parts were all over and folks loved to help you out with them. Not the case here as of yet but Im hoping that changes when I start looking in the right places.

Thanks again for the input and keep it coming - I have my notebook ready... TJ

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
Pm fireguy or crazed about the engine. Crazed is building a sweet little 5.8 right now and fireguy is our resident EFU Guru. They can tell ya which cams will cause you problems with your ECM. That's assuming your is or is staying speed density. Get that thing running and next time I'm down we'll hook up and go play on the river if ya want--_Fog

EFI Guru---Sorry--Fog

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
EFU???

Electronically Fueled Underwear?
Elephant flabby udders?
Eggs fluffy-side under?
Engine fires unknown?

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
:lolup :lolup
Good catch Smooth---I've got "chubby" fingers--fog

EFU= Extremely Flatulent User

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Definently get the long block, because piecing together a motor will cost around the same in the long run, plus if you buy one that's built, you'll save yourself some work. Crane Cams is a great starting place on your cam search. BBK makes a good throttle body. As far as headers go, there are plenty to choose from on the market, and all have similar advantages. I have long tubes on mine, but shorties may be a better choice depending. Also, if you convert to Mass Air, the sky is the limit. Just like damager said, it depends on what you want or can spend.

As far as lift goes, several people can tell you that you don't need it. The stock system is very capable. It really depends on how you want to use it.

Let us know what you want to spend, and what kind of timeline you are on, and we can help you narrow down your search.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Money and timeline - they kind of go hand in hand.
The timeline will be determined on the money situation.

It is going to be slow going but thats fine - One piece at a time. (Hopefully two pieces on a good week/month!).
That way I can get what I am wanting rather than HAVING to get what the wallet allows for this month.

Ideal timeline - Ready to wheel - EARLY spring.
I figure on making this a winter project so its ready to go this spring. Sooner would be great but I dont figure on it. Aside from money there is time. The AF has me pretty busy these days so Im looking at being able to work on the weekends.

Once I get all the info I will come up with an order of getting things done.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
go with a new long block you wont be dissappointed with a Central Coast Mustang GT40 Long block pumping out 320 HP for 1995+ about 250 for shipping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts