Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

New proud owner 1990 xlt

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  DaveG 
#1 ·
Hello,
My name is Chris and I live in the Pacific Northwest.( I travel back and forth between Washington and Idaho. )
I just purchased a 1990 xlt 4x4 automatic from a Bronco enthusiasts in the Seattle area. ( he's great guy and he suggested I join this forum/community.)
I know very little about Bronco's specifically but I'm eager to learn from all of you.
Overall I would say that my truck is in good condition but I do have some issues that I need to take care of such as....
*Oil leaks ( I can't tell where they begin or end. Not much on the ground overall but very messy underneath at the engine and oil pan compartment. )
*Hard shifting (it doesn't always do it but sometimes it feels like its slamming into gears when I accelerate and decelerate. )
*rear window ( it doesn't go all the way up or down but the motor works strong in the middle section of operation. )
*level the front end. (The front end sags about two inches lower than the back. )
*exhaust ( it pretty much needs a complete system. )
My intentions are to keep the truck pretty much stock at this point with maybe a few modification. I just really like the way it looks currently.
I appreciate those of you who take the time to read and respond to my introduction.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome. These are the areas common with oil leaks on the SBF 302/351

1. Front main seal, behind the balancer. Often the balancer is grooved, so it will take a new seal and a sleeve to stop this one.
  2. Rear main seal, behind the flex plate or flywheel. The back of the crankshaft can also be grooved, and a new sleeve and seal will fix this.
  3. Oil Pan seal near the rear main. Replace this two piece seal with a newer style one piece seal.
  4. Valve Cover gaskets. These will leak, then the owner often overtightens the bolts, warping the valve covers making them leak worse. Make sure the valve cover is not warped when replacing this seal.
The valve covers are the easy gaskets to replace. The other ones are more tough and labor intensive. The easiest way to check where the oil is coming from is with a UV dye added to the oil, then use a black light to trace the leak to the source. There are write ups on this forum for all these repairs.
You will need to get your rear window all the way down in order to open your tailgate. Try lubing the tracks with the inside tailgate cover removed. Often there is a pinch weld that breaks inside the tailgate sheet metal from the stress of the rear tire carrier weight on the tailgate, and it causes the window to list to one side. With the window all the way down, this is noticeable where the pinch weld break is. If it is broken it can be tacked back together with a mig welder.

Check your tranny oil with engine running on level ground. If it is the correct level, then check your TV cable adjustment if it is an AOD transmission. The TV cable must be adjusted correctly on the AOD transmission or the tranny will fail. It is easy to do, there is a write up here for that. If your bronco is a 4 speed automatic, it would be an AOD. If it is only a 3 speed then its a C6. If the tranny oil is brown or smells burnt, then your tranny is on its way out.

Reactions: bsd4083
#5 ·
Welcome. These are the areas common with oil leaks on the SBF 302/351

1. Front main seal, behind the balancer. Often the balancer is grooved, so it will take a new seal and a sleeve to stop this one.
  2. Rear main seal, behind the flex plate or flywheel. The back of the crankshaft can also be grooved, and a new sleeve and seal will fix this.
  3. Oil Pan seal near the rear main. Replace this two piece seal with a newer style one piece seal.
  4. Valve Cover gaskets. These will leak, then the owner often overtightens the bolts, warping the valve covers making them leak worse. Make sure the valve cover is not warped when replacing this seal.
The valve covers are the easy gaskets to replace. The other ones are more tough and labor intensive. The easiest way to check where the oil is coming from is with a UV dye added to the oil, then use a black light to trace the leak to the source. There are write ups on this forum for all these repairs.
You will need to get your rear window all the way down in order to open your tailgate. Try lubing the tracks with the inside tailgate cover removed. Often there is a pinch weld that breaks inside the tailgate sheet metal from the stress of the rear tire carrier weight on the tailgate, and it causes the window to list to one side. With the window all the way down, this is noticeable where the pinch weld break is. If it is broken it can be tacked back together with a mig welder.

Check your tranny oil with engine running on level ground. If it is the correct level, then check your TV cable adjustment if it is an AOD transmission. The TV cable must be adjusted correctly on the AOD transmission or the tranny will fail. It is easy to do, there is a write up here for that. If your bronco is a 4 speed automatic, it would be an AOD. If it is only a 3 speed then its a C6. If the tranny oil is brown or smells burnt, then your tranny is on its way out.

Thank you for the advice!
That is a beautiful bronco. Check the transmission fluid level for the hard shifting, also see how dirty it is. Its normal for the front end to sag. I'm sure new coils would help some but there is a leveling kit that raises the front 2 inches I believe.
Thank you,
I appreciate your input.
I'll look into that.

#3 ·
Welcome to FSB and congrats on the clean lookin' 90!

Sounds like the window is getting in a bind. In addition to the problem mentioned above, it could also be the guides that slide in the regulator. They can freeze up, keeping them from turning as they slide. The lube in the track could also be dried up, causing them to stick.

Reactions: bsd4083
#9 ·
Thanks!
Yo Chris,
Welcome to our Big Bronco family with your good looking 90!
You may have E4OD automatic four speed transmission with overdrive. The overdrive switch is on the dash.
View attachment 186701
Pic by member 90broncocanada

For a factory exhaust system, consider Walker® Exhaust Systems who was the original supplier to Ford. The Walker Way | Walker Exhaust Systems
Here's the 90 5.0 parts:
View attachment 186702
You can use the part number to Google them for other sources that sell the part.

Here are the 1990 Bronco Pre-Delivery Shop & Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manuals (EVTM), Partial by member Kingfish999 in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck service manuals - Google Drive
&
1990 Ford Truck Emissions Manual.pdf by Ford via member 90.CaliBronco in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck Emissions Manual.pdf

Suggest you download both for faster scrolling and to use the table of contents index.

1990 Ford Bronco Brochure by Ford via Dezo's Garage @ https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/1990-Ford-Bronco.pdf

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf found by BroncMom!

For any Bronco issues or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories that requires 50 non-padded posts to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members.
save.

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How To Search, How To Edit A Posts and more tips!

➡See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) ... includes such as, "Tailgate Window repair & troublehooting".

Try to find time to participate and vote in our next Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Prizes are awarded to winners; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted; and a years worth of premium FSB membership.

Al

Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions Al.

I do not have not that overdrive switch on my dash that was shown in your picture.
The picture was helpful.

#8 ·
Yo Chris,
Welcome to our Big Bronco family with your good looking 90!
You may have E4OD automatic four speed transmission with overdrive. The overdrive switch is on the dash.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Steering part Plant Gas

Pic by member 90broncocanada

For a factory exhaust system, consider Walker® Exhaust Systems who was the original supplier to Ford. The Walker Way | Walker Exhaust Systems
Here's the 90 5.0 parts:
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

You can use the part number to Google them for other sources that sell the part.

Here are the 1990 Bronco Pre-Delivery Shop & Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manuals (EVTM), Partial by member Kingfish999 in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck service manuals - Google Drive
&
1990 Ford Truck Emissions Manual.pdf by Ford via member 90.CaliBronco in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck Emissions Manual.pdf

Suggest you download both for faster scrolling and to use the table of contents index.

1990 Ford Bronco Brochure by Ford via Dezo's Garage @ https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/1990-Ford-Bronco.pdf

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf found by BroncMom!

For any Bronco issues or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories that requires 50 non-padded posts to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members.
save.

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How To Search, How To Edit A Posts and more tips!

➡See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) ... includes such as, "Tailgate Window repair & troublehooting".

Try to find time to participate and vote in our next Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Prizes are awarded to winners; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted; and a years worth of premium FSB membership.

Al

#14 ·
ok. Howdy neighbor! I dig the pics from Hagadon's castle and my old stomping grounds at NIC. Glad to see you found us and Welcome to FSB! I'm just a few miles south of Newport. Maybe we'll see each other some time. There aren't that many of us Inlander's here but there's a few.
There's lots and lots of great info around here on all the issues you have to tackle. Search around, read up some to educate yourself (if you have that need) and it will either answer your questions or help you to ask better, more specific questions to get the right answers more easily. That's a super-clean lookin' bricknose ya got there. Congrats.

#16 ·
I have met up with a rare few other members to go play in the 7 mile, ORV Park just N. of Spokompton. Not sure if you're into that with that clean machine but if so... we might have to meet up there some time. I think we've got a thread on it in the PNW section of the forum. Anyway... have a good day. Fwiw, I generally plan on rebuild/refurb the tailgate window workings of any FSB I've picked up over the years. They tend to be very neglected.

#17 ·
Hello,
My name is Chris and I live in the Pacific Northwest.( I travel back and forth between Washington and Idaho. )
I just purchased a 1990 xlt 4x4 automatic from a Bronco enthusiasts in the Seattle area. ( he's great guy and he suggested I join this forum/community.)
I know very little about Bronco's specifically but I'm eager to learn from all of you.
Overall I would say that my truck is in good condition but I do have some issues that I need to take care of such as....
*Oil leaks ( I can't tell where they begin or end. Not much on the ground overall but very messy underneath at the engine and oil pan compartment. )
*Hard shifting (it doesn't always do it but sometimes it feels like its slamming into gears when I accelerate and decelerate. )
*rear window ( it doesn't go all the way up or down but the motor works strong in the middle section of operation. )
*level the front end. (The front end sags about two inches lower than the back. )
*exhaust ( it pretty much needs a complete system. )
My intentions are to keep the truck pretty much stock at this point with maybe a few modification. I just really like the way it looks currently.
I appreciate those of you who take the time to read and respond to my introduction.

Thanks!
I would leave the stance - level - alone! It looks perfect.
TB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.