Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok long story short is someone broke in to my truck and stole my radio ( part of living in California) but they were nice enough to take it out easy so all the wires are in tact. Is there a specific type of radio I need to buy or should a $50 one from Wal-Mart work fine? The trucks a 91 EB. Would just leave it blank to hear the truck but it's my daily driver an I run it 2 hrs a day to and from work. Thanks guys

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you're buying a new radio (NIB) then it should come with an adapter if it doesn't naturally connect. Most Ford-compatible radios use the same hookups, but if you buy from a pawn shop or second-hand then it may not come with the adapter. If you do buy second-hand, you could buy an adapter fairly cheap on eBay or Amazon.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok awesome. Thanks for info. Good news is they took the radio. That was broken. But left my tools and shovels along with my $200 flash light and the $700 light bar alone. Would have been 2 mins to steal the bar and 2 mins to take the tools. But no one said they were smart criminals! Haha

·
Registered
446 Posts
Earbuds ($7) and Pandora/iHeart on your smart phone. They won't have a radio to steal then. :thumbup

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't have a smartphone and if I did there's no cell signal out at the ranch/shooting range I work at. Had an iPod but always forgot to charge it and got sick of the same songs over and over... although that's all the radio is anymore too. Just gonna keep the truck in the garage from now on over night! Thanks for the thought though... those words are too similar.:popc1:

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Check out Crutchfield.com, they'll have what you are looking for no matter what your budget plus you will get all the necessary adapters and a unit that will fit without modifications

·
Registered
11 Posts
Most people go with a pioneer radio. Probably because they are easily available and fairly cheap. When I got my truck that's what it had in it. A lot of the other ones I looked at had the same one. It works fine for me though.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Wearing earphones is illegal while driving almost everywhere because you will be unable to hear sirens and honks.

I think its decriminalized most places though because if you get hit because you can't hear tough shit

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How is that unsafe/illegal :shrug
If CHP sees me with buds in they'd pull me over for sure. Got me at 2am for not having my 50 inch led bar covered even though I was not using it. And unsafe by blocking road noise so you can't hear sierens or other important noises.:scratchhe:

·
Registered
232 Posts
It's amazing what a cheap radio will get you these days. I put a $100 (even less now) JVC KDR850BT in that has CD, USB, Hands free phone, bluetooth, pandora, Iheart with a detachable faceplate. Oh and AM/FM...

I don't use the CD because I use the USB with a usb key that holds my music, the hands free phone works and sounds great.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Wearing earphones is illegal while driving almost everywhere because you will be unable to hear sirens and honks.

I think its decriminalized most places though because if you get hit because you can't hear tough shit
Oh yeah......sirens

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's amazing what a cheap radio will get you these days. I put a $100 (even less now) JVC KDR850BT in that has CD, USB, Hands free phone, bluetooth, pandora, Iheart with a detachable faceplate. Oh and AM/FM...

I don't use the CD because I use the USB with a usb key that holds my music, the hands free phone works and sounds great.
:rofl:
Mine has a CD drive but sees no use for almost the exact same reason. That, and the fact that when I go offroad it scratches the shit out of my CDs. :banghead

USB from now on for me.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Go to Crutchfield or Soniceletronix and get a head unit there. Be sure to get one with bluetooth capability.

It will come with all necessary wiring harnesses and adapters for a painless install.

The head unit I put in my Bronco has no CD at all. It's what's considered a mechless unit.

It can play music off a USB but my "music system" in my Bronco is actually a Nexus 7 tablet.

I stream bluetooth from the tablet to the head unit.

All my playlists complete with album art, a slick touchscreen interface, and it makes a dandy GPS when you add an offroad mapping application like Maverick or Polaris (records/maps your off road treks)

·
Registered
88 Posts
CJREX is right for around $100 you can find something with bluetooth, MP3, removable face etc I shopped around on Crutchfield found the model/ equipment i needed and then ordered it somewhere else cheaper.. maybe amazon.

·
Registered
446 Posts
While I will agree it is technically illegal in most places to wear earbuds/phones while driving, I'm going to have to call bullshit on not being able to hear what's going on around you.

It just requires attentiveness, a reduced volume, and some common sense. I wear buds all the time when I ride my bike, and I can hear what's going on just fine, even with the pipes chiming in. I can assure you that I am much more aware than your average jackass with their face buried in their phone.

·
imdabes
937 Posts
I ride a bike too, and have to turn my volume up all the way to hear it over my pipes. Point isn't attentiveness, you can't see sound. You can't make split second reactions based on a sound that is muffled. Your brain will have to process extra crap before you hear a horn or siren.

I wear headphones on NY bike too, I'm just saying why its illegal, and that its a good law.

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
While I will agree it is technically illegal in most places to wear earbuds/phones while driving, I'm going to have to call bullshit on not being able to hear what's going on around you.

It just requires attentiveness, a reduced volume, and some common sense. I wear buds all the time when I ride my bike, and I can hear what's going on just fine, even with the pipes chiming in. I can assure you that I am much more aware than your average jackass with their face buried in their phone.

I'll make sure to convey your opinion to the next person I have to cut out of their car LOL :rockon

Also in lots of states motorcyclists are exempt from this rule (like in Virginia where I'm from).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts