Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished rebuild on 1990 5.0. Cranks super fast but no start. Checked ignition system and it appears I have no spark. Where do I start checking? Coil? How do I test it? I have a meter but not sure how to use it to measure resistance. Directions, ideas, help appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
When you say "cranks super fast", this concerns me on a new rebuild. Are you sure everything was bolted up correctly? Take the cap off the distributor and kick it over. Make sure everything is turning as it should. If all the components were working before the rebuild, for what reason would they not work after?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
REBUILD.

Rebuilt stock motor. This was my first overhaul in 15 years but probably my 50th overhaul grounds up engine rebuild. Everything was dissassembled, cleaned, mic'd, checked for cracks (magna fluxed), machined as needed and completely reassembled. Warn parts were replaced as needed. My 19 year old son wanted to do a project with dad so the 90 Bronco is it. I've enjoyed working with my son but this is my last one. By the way, I think the problem is a bad/not connected ground wire.

·
Registered
672 Posts
50 rebuilds.....I hope your son is paying attention to you man could he learn alot. Good luck with the ground wire.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Weak Spark

Ok, fixed ground issue and fuel pump now works. Still won't start but it acts like its trying. Checked spark and it is present but weak. Have new battery and new MSD coil as well as distributor cap. Voltage at coil is only 10 volts. Any thoughts on why this would be the case?:banghead

1 - 8 of 8 Posts