Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put in an E4OD from Rhino Transmissions (ATK) in the BKO. New cooling sys.(B&M supercooler with fan, B&M remote filter.) It's full. Dosn't leak. Runs Strong. Dosn't get too hot. (I don't have the temp guage hooked up yet, but I can put my hand on it with no probs, no boiling over.) I have run it through all the gears. Anyway, when in neutral, when it is hot. It clatters, a metal slapping on metal sound. the sound seems to come from the middle of the tranny. I have the cover over the tranny in the interior of the BKO removed so I can see/hear it when driving.

ANY Ideas?:banghead :banghead :banghead

·
Registered
40 Posts
Get in touch with Rhino immediately and let them know what's up. If they sold you a bad tranny, they should replace it for you and cover your removal for the bad one and install the new one for wasting your time. If they refuse, insist on it.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
:stupid If you just got it, there is no reason you should have to futz with it whatsoever...unless it's something dumb like the torque converter wasn't seated or bolted down.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ugh, I REALLY don't want to pull it back out. I did make sure the TC was seated correctly. I have been working on that damn thing EVERY sunday for 3 months.:twak :doh0715:
I WANNA DRIVE MY BKO!:cry
I am calling ATK today, see what they say.
The tranny has about 2 hours of run time and 1.5 miles on it.
They (ATK) says they dyno-ed it before they sent it out.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone? ANY Ideas on what to try?:cry

R

·
0 Posts
It could be a gear inside. I'm not an expert on transmissions so this should be taken with a grain of salt. But from my mechanical point of view, it seems that a gear could be running dry and when it heats up, the metal expands a bit and that causes it to beat into another gear. I would get this checked either way, since if it is from gears contacting each other (more than they should anyways) it could destroy the gears and that trans will be SOL.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called them. I think it is the pump. They told me to check the Xfer case. :wacko
Still makes noise. I will be calling them again today.:banghead
I made sure the torque converter was seated before I installed it. Is it possible that it shifted during install? Everything went together really well.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:twak Somebody PLEASE correct me if I am wrong......
It Clatters in PARK or NEUTRAL at idle, what dose that have to do with the transfer case. :twak

sewiv, good idea I am familliar with that pump issue, but I really don't think that is it. I had it in neutral at a complete stop on a hill to listen to it clatter. I let off the brake and the clattering stopped when it started rolling in neutral.:doh0715:
I still think it is the pump. :banghead

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,825 Posts
maybe its an exhaust leak? or loose Y pipe on the manifolds

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
sewiv said:
Or a cat hitting the crossmember.
No, can't be that. It'd be meowing, not clattering. :histerica

Seriously, if you're sure it's nothing external (triple-check underneath with a bright flashlight!), I think it's gonna have to come down again. Sorry to be a downer, but that's MHO.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, keep the ideas coming. I do have an exhaust leak but that is a completely diffrent noise I need to take care of later. It is definately nothing external. Like I said, the cover in the floorboard is removed so I can see and hear everything perfectly. The sound is from the middle/front of the transmission and it only clatters when there is no load on the pump. I.E. when it is in neutral/park, or just before it shifts, or just after letting off the gas. I didn't get to call them (ATK) yesterday. (worked late:banghead ) I will see what they say today.:chili:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, after all of that, I had a tranny expurt guy come over and listen to the tranny. He is like "Oh, that is the flywheel rubbing on something." Yep sure enough the flywheel is lightly rubbing something between the engine and fly wheel.:doh0715:
He said it will eventually wear out and stop making noise.
Thanks for all the help guys.
Chris

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
you're gonna fix it, though,right?

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
WasACop3436 said:
Well, after all of that, I had a tranny expurt guy come over and listen to the tranny. He is like "Oh, that is the flywheel rubbing on something." Yep sure enough the flywheel is lightly rubbing something between the engine and fly wheel.:doh0715:
He said it will eventually wear out and stop making noise.
Thanks for all the help guys.
Chris

that has to be the dumbest thing i have ever heard of in my life. The flywheel is not supposed to rub on aything and if it didnt do it before the tranny removal and installation it shouldnt have done it afterwards. make them fix it for you

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
ken, he R&R'd the transmission himself.

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
well nevermind then. fix it before something gets fvcked up worse than it is

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There is a thin metal plate between the trans and the engine. I bent it when removing the trans. (didn't remove 1 itty bitty bolt) I am NOT going to take that trans back out to tap on that plate with a hammer.:toothless

1 - 20 of 20 Posts