Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I splurged for six Rancho 9000xl shocks for my 90 xlt, and I've taken off all six now...and just noticed that the new shocks are crooked, the studs are angled in different directions by a couple degrees. Is this normal? Should I proceed with the install or contact Rancho on Monday? Pics below. Definitely not an illusion!

IMG_20200118_185213.jpg
IMG_20200118_185228.jpg

And the Auxilaries are similar

IMG_20200118_185344.jpg

·
Registered
128 Posts
wow - damaged and already surface rust? i guess it depends on how you value the effort you took to earn the money needed to purchase these things.

i would call

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
633 Posts
It probably won’t effect functionality, and if I got them for cheap/free I would just run them.
But if you spent real money on them, I would call Rancho.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow - damaged and already surface rust? i guess it depends on how you value the effort you took to earn the money needed to purchase these things.
Not sure if it's surface rust, it rubbed off and the paint looked solid underneath. But there were a couple small bare metal nicks from shipping, and the packaging didn't contain any padding so the shocks had about 6-10 inches or so of room to move around...So I could see this as being the result of rough handling.

Looks like I'll be calling Rancho on Monday.

·
Eric
2,547 Posts
Wow. That's kinda garbage. Must've been built on a Friday..... or the Monday after a weekend bender. Since the bushing is going to surround the stud, the cant won't affect functionality. So if it's not worth the hassle/downtime of returning them, run 'em. But definitely send Rancho pics and let them know what you think either way. That could be a QC issue that needs to be brought to their attention.

·
Foolsize Member
1,557 Posts
It probably won’t effect functionality, and if I got them for cheap/free I would just run them.
But if you spent real money on them, I would call Rancho.....
This. The stud being off center by a few degrees likely wont change anything, it may even straighten up when tightened down.
The RS9000's are pretty good for what they are, give rancho a chance to make it right if you feel like you'd rather not use them.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,490 Posts
I think the set I had (several years ago) was also welded fully at the top, not just a bit more then spot welded.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Rancho always makes me think of huevos rancheros.

Think of the Brightside. At least your crappy welds are made by Americans though I doubt that part will give you much problems. By you purchasing American made goods you gave Teddy the opportunity to make a living wage and support his one and a half kids and alcoholic wife. Also the spare cash to by an extra pack of Fruit of the Loom wife beaters to perpetuate the stereotype.

In all seriousness for the money they will work well for you and that part is not what people would call critical as it may just self center in the bushing.....pour one out for Teddy.

·
Registered
216 Posts

i would call
My thought exactly.

Not to self: Don't buy these shocks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I have these shocks on my Bronco and they didn't look like this out of the box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts