Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked it up, it's a Stevens 520 from around the 1930s. It's a takedown 12 gauge pump shotgun with a 30" barrel and full choke. Maybe I didn't need another shotgun but I got such a good deal;) it'll be a good turkey or pheasant gun. There was a chip busted out of the stock that I just fixed but other than that it's in great shape.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

The bottom picture shows my repair, it blended in pretty good actually.

Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
I've got almost the exact same shotgun from my grandpa.
mom's x-boyfriend redid the wood yrs. back... and not very well, but that's the one.
Did you get the breakdown carry bag too? Lost mine moving around. :banghead

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
They're nice guns. I didn't get the canvas bag, wish I did though. Ill look around at gun shows or online to see if I can find one eventually. Cool part about these guns is you can "slam fire" them, meaning you can hold the trigger down and rack the slide. The faster you pump, the faster it shoots.

Local # 40 Boilermakers
Very cool. I had an old JC Higgons given to me a while back, not worth much but it being from the 30's makes it very cool in my book. I don't like semi auto's, 3 shots sucks IMO and they are picky about reloads.

Registered
Just saw this, Md. Beautiful shotgun. And, frankly, excellent job on the repair. I am terrible with wood work.

Love it like a June mornin'.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Steve, You have a couple nice ones there:thumbup of all the semiautos, the A5 is my pick hands down. That said, I'm not usually interested in emptying the gun as fast as possible, so a pump is fine with me. I shoot a lot of single shots and muzzleloaders so I'm used to a slow rate of fire.

BRONCONUT, I'm with you, guns from this era are really cool. My gun isn't worth much either, maybe 200 bucks but I gave less than that for it but it's still a classic John Browning designed shotgun:thumbup

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks Jay and Scott:thumbup it actually wasn't that tough of a repair, just get the two pieces of wood flat, glue them, and shape it to fit. A little stain and oil and you're set:thumbup

Registered
Md:

You probably already knew I would love it. When it comes to woodwork, I could tear up an anvil in a sandbox, so to speak.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Jay,

We must both just have good taste in guns;) what I gain in woodworking skills, I lose in many many other areas:toothless

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Steve,

I'm a muzzleloader guy, I don't do rapid fire;)

Local # 40 Boilermakers
I used to use an auto bird hunting but honestly preferred the pumps over them because it did not like the reloads as much. It may have been the older loader we used not crimping as good as it should but at the same time they shot fine through the pumps. Now if I were to have an auto it would be an AA12, maybe someday.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed, if only it could talk.

Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
"Can" vs. "Do". seems pretty straightforward and obvious differences to me. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing that md. I never really considered it before but it makes perfect sense. :thumbup

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Sure thing pepe:thumbup

Steve;
Simply because I noted an interesting feature if the gun, does not mean I intend to use it, and not necessarily proud or not proud of it-simply noting that it's possible. Many new pump guns actually have disconnectors as a safety measure against slam firing (remington 870, mossbergs, etc). If I really wanted rapid fire I'd go mag dump an AR, not an 80 year old shotgun ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts