Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am dumbfounded as of now. With hubs locked and in 4h or 4l and under load, I hear what sounds like a old rocking chair squeeking back and forth. It gets faster with the more gas I give it, and it goes away when coasting or just barely giving it gas. I have checked all my u-joints in the front driveshaft and axles and none seem to be going bad. Everything seems nice and snug, the only other thing I can think would be internal in the transfer case or front diff. Any ideas or anyone else have this same noise and figure it out.
:banghead

Thanks in advance for any help given.

·
Registered
610 Posts
check you're oil in the trans case and the front dif. Also make sure everything is lubed up up front...Try jacking up the truck, (all 4 wheels on jackstands...dont get squished) put it in 4h, put the transmission in neutral, and spin the tires by hand...listen to see where the sound may be comming from...

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Last time I had a squeak like that it was my front fender falling off. Just tighten those bolts...I thought mine were tight and I put a wrench on them and tightened them at least 6 threads :shocked

Just a thought.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
smileybry said:
What type of hubs do you have? and whens the last time you serviced them? gotta grease them up once in a while...

Just serviced the hubs about 4 weeks ago and haven't been through any mud or water since. Did hubs and bearings. I haven't recalled loosing any diff fluid, but I'll check the level today.

edit: manual stock hubs

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
-Spazmatic- said:
Last time I had a squeak like that it was my front fender falling off. Just tighten those bolts...I thought mine were tight and I put a wrench on them and tightened them at least 6 threads :shocked

Just a thought.

I'll check those, however, I believe that if it was that, it would do it constantly, not just in 4l or 4h with hubs locked and under load.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Check the little bitty bearings that the front stub shafts go through. They are on the back of the spindle. You have to remove the spindle to see them. I bet that is your problem.

·
Registered
610 Posts
sewiv said:
Semi-hijack: What exactly do you grease on the hubs? How do you force
grease in there?
Take off the hub lock cover, remove the clips etc and disasemble the hub. Clean out any old grease/grime with a lint free rag (make sure theres no sand or grit in there) relub with some synthetic hi tempgrease or axle grease (i've seen all kinds of stuff put in there). Use your finger (latex glove would be nice) and gob grease on the spindle and on the hub and pretty much on everything, and reassemble. This is especially important if you're going through alot of water or sand...they'll engage better and last longer. If you end up washing all the grease out, then they'll rust up and bind.

this is for manual ones http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0a/0a/ad/0900823d800a0aad.jsp

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1clean5.8 said:
check your U joints

Already did that and there was absolutely no slop and were nice and tight, HOWEVER..... Now that I think about it, we had a squad car at my department that had about the very same sound, although it was the rear drive shaft u-joints, mine obviously is in the front drive shaft. I replaced them about 8 months ago, so thats why I was ruling them out, but you never know on a FSB. I'll check and replace them tomorrow if need be.

·
Registered
531 Posts
1clean5.8 said:
if they are tight doesnt mean they are greased.
:stupid

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well my metal squeeky sound ended up being the rear u-joint on the front drive shaft. As soon as I took the drive shaft off, one of the caps basically fell off and there were no more needle bearings there, just a pile of dust. Replaced the u-joint and now back in business. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.