Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm gonna be installing the new alpine x305s stereo head unit. well in the ordering process from crutchfield, it asks if i want the wire harness to bypass the factory amp or the wire harness to integrate it. i really don't know which is the best decision to get better sound out of the stereo system. i've already replaced my antenna and installed 4 new infinity speakers, so i want to get the most for my money. any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Not sure if this is the same. But when I had my 1992 Explorer and replaced the head unit and the speakers I bypassed the factory amp. You won't really need it. That new head unit has way more power anyway.

·
Registered
408 Posts
easy option, use the factory amp. Just make sure that the new deck has both front and rear outs. The adapter that crutchfield sells uses the RCA pre-outs so if you don't have front and rear then you won't be able to control fade front and rear.

do you need to use the factory amp? No. If you don't mind running the bypass harness (it really isn't bad at all) then get the amp bypass harness. If you don't want to fudge with it, then just use the factory amp.

The factory amp isn't really bad at all, just not all that powerful. I have heard in-deck amps that insert way more noise than the factory amp. The main reason that people say "the factory amp sucks" is because they use one of those crappy line converters that are adjustable and then turn the up way too high which causes clipping.

On the other hand, alpine makes a great amp, unless you are getting a bottom-line head unit. If it isn't one of the cheapest head units, I would use the head unit's amp.

My personal setup? I use the factory amp with one of those cheapie line out converters, but it is set up correctly. For speakers I use the kicker speakers that handle something like 40w RMS, and the factory amp keeps up just fine. Doesn't sound any better or worse than my last car that I ran the same speakers in with a 40w x 4 RMS amp.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Bypass the amp. you will thank your self. the aftermarket amp in the head unit is at least 10 times better than the factory amp. Things will sound much better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks a lot guys. appreciate the info. well i think i will bypass the factory amp then. cant wait till i get the new alpine head unit and see how bad ass it sounds. ill be adding subs later, but not till much later. again, thanks a lot guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts