Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing a bit of welding/metalworking for my SAS, I decided it was something I definitely want to pursue as a hobby. Just got everything in, so I thought Id share.

Miller 252 MIG welder. MIG weld 1/2'' in a single pass. Im surprised how much bigger the gun is compared to my Lincoln 108T.

Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52. Recommended cut 1/2'', Max Cut 1 1/8''. I still love my torch though...

Speedglas 9002x welding helmet.....MUCH better than my HF one.

Picked this used 60 gal Devilbiss compressor off of Craigslist. Decided it was time to ditch the oil free Craftsman one.

Should have 220v installed in the garage in time to test everything out this weekend. Ill be sure to post some pics and demos when I get them going.
This has been a while in the making...thanks to everyone for all the advice so far!!

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
you win the lottery or something?

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I've got to say, you have good taste in gear. I've been thinking about replacing my HF welding helmet recently too. I had been looking at the Millers, maybe I'll have to look at that Speedglas too. I really don't have any experience with anything but bottom of the line helmets and really don't know much about the good ones.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you win the lottery or something?
Looks like Hefty beat me to it...:toothless

I have the same plasma cutter.......also a cutmaster 80 for the cnc plasma table:goodfinge

Nice stuff though:thumbup
Thanks. And thanks for giving me a whole half a day before taking me back down a few pegs :goodfinge

I've got to say, you have good taste in gear. I've been thinking about replacing my HF welding helmet recently too. I had been looking at the Millers, maybe I'll have to look at that Speedglas too. I really don't have any experience with anything but bottom of the line helmets and really don't know much about the good ones.
Thanks Dave:thumbup
Posts from you, Walt, Hefty, and many others really helped steer me in the right direction.
For me, it was between Miller Elite, Jackson Nexgen/BOSS, and Speedglas 9000 series. I dont think you can go wrong with either. Versatility, viewing area, and number of sensors seem to make up most of the cost.
I found a great deal on the Speedglas one, plus, they seemed to have the strongest positive feedback.
Initial impressions of it out of the box are:
-It is lighter and more balanced
-It is much more ergonomic..feels more like an extension of your face than a big block in front of it
-When you turn it on, the screen actually lights up a bit. Looking under my truck, I can see in places that looked almost black with my HF. Its not night and day, but there is a significant difference.

I'm really curious to see what the difference is while welding. Hopefully that happen this weekend.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
where did you go to get it all, and how much was the cutmaster Muffinman? When you say recommended cut 1/2" I assume the machine can certainly do lesser like cheese? Always wanted a plasma, just couldn't cough up the dough.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
where did you go to get it all, and how much was the cutmaster Muffinman? When you say recommended cut 1/2" I assume the machine can certainly do lesser like cheese? Always wanted a plasma, just couldn't cough up the dough.
I got them both from Cyberweld: http://cyberweld.com/ Great prices and shipping is free :thumbup

The Cutmaster was 1,480 total, and yeah, it cuts through 1/4'' plate like butter...right now, Im not able to accurately move my hand faster than it can cut.
I really dont intend to to do anything much bigger that 1/4''...maybe occasionally 3/8'', but I wanted it to be effortless, and didn't want to be maxing the machine out all the time.

I just removed my rear shackles with it...waaaaay nicer using the plasma over torching the rivets.:rockon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts