Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
A D M I N in training
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I am buying new tires for my DD (1998 Toyota Tacoma 4x4) I have decided on either Maxxis Bighorns, or Firestone Destination MT's. Which is the better choice?

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
I thought you were selling that piece of shit

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
I had a set of Big Horns on my Rubi.

They were absolute shit after about 6k miles. At ~20k three of the four developed serious broken belts in the space of about a week (they hadn't been wheeled on in about 6k miles) and the shaking was so bad the Jeep was completely unsafe over 35mph. I put a set of KM2s on it and it's like a whole new vehicle. I've had them for 7k miles and it still drives better than it did when the Big Horns were new.

I could also tell a distinct difference after each time I went wheeling with them. I had free balancing on them and the place had a tip top machine; wheeling was just more than the tires could handle...and that's on a stock Jeep.

When it comes to tires you get what you pay for. It's one area never to cheap out in.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I guess I'm the odd man out. I've run Maxxis Bighorns on our Sport Trac for a couple years now and have nothing but good things to say about them. They are wearing nice and have only recently begun to be noisy at around 35-40 mph. I just took the Trac out this past weekend to do some wheeling, and these tires are the only thing that kept me from gettin stuck, even though the belly was draggin over pretty much everything. So from my personal experience with them, I would recommend them.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I ran firestone destinations on my jeep. They were a great DD/wheeling tire. I would buy them again. I sold my jeep, I put tires on it in 2005 and as of last year they were still there with 40% tread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts