Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0L, Automatic Trans, Manual Transfer Case, Manual locking hubs, 3" li
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp, as the title states, I'm new to owning a 4x4. I had a 2006 Expedition Limited 4x4 but I don't really count that. Beyond that all I've ever owned and drive have been muscle cars that I've modified and typically required me to go over large speed bumps at an angle. It'll be nice to be in a world of, I bet I can go over that vs Oh God a pothole SWERVE!

Anyways, just purchased a nice 89 FSB EB edition from a buddy of mine back in Cali and am having it shipped out east here. Rust free, interior looks good, paint is pretty good except for some peeling clear coat. It has a 3" lift on it but I'm not sure what the brand is and neither is my buddy because when he bought it years ago, it already had it on there. I will say when I test drove it, doing 70-75 on the freeway was a bit frightening because it had this tendency to sway and some trouble with bump steer. Lemme say, going around corners is much different in this thing too. Just not used to that much body roll. Anyways, I've got the swaybars for it so I'll be putting those back on and after taking a look at the lift, decide whether its staying or buying a new kit just so I know what's on it and I know its not jerry rigged. Beyond that, it should make a great daily driver. Out here in Virginia it doesn't appear there are many "demanding" trails like Dishpan Springs out in Cali so I'm probably not going to go all out on it. I've just grown weary of taking my 08 Shelby GT500 down dirt roads and throwing the deer I shot in a plastic bag in the trunk to bring it back for butchering. (Yes, I do get a TON of weird looks when I pull up in that at national forests and WMA's and hop out in camo with a rifle.) I've read through the NOOB links and there is a plethora of information in there that I still have yet to digest and I'm looking forward to hopefully contributing shot by shot installs for whatever I do end up doing with the Bronco.

·
Super Moderator
24,691 Posts
Yo Smokinstang65,
Welcome to our Big Bronco site! Your 89 looks pretty good.

Here is the 1989 Ford Brono EVTM, Emissions (yellowish/red book cover) & Pre-Delivery Manuals, Partial via mrnewland1 in Google Drive @
1989 Service manual - Google Drive
Slow scrolling, so download for faster viewing and to see the table of contents, the search feature, etc.

1989 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ 1989 Ford Bronco

1989 Bronco Lubricant Specifications by Ford via Gary @ Lubricant Specifications

For any Bronco questions, such as the bump steer and sway it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum faqs @ FAQ
Includes for example, How to Use Search.
See more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) @ Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)
See our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests⚠:
You will get ideas by those competing.
Also see the prizes! They are freaking awesome.

Good fortune with the 89!
Al

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,994 Posts
Welcome, looks like a nice rig! I drove a 2003 mach 1 for 10 years. Lots of fun, that's for sure.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,994 Posts
I've just grown weary of taking my 08 Shelby GT500 down dirt roads and throwing the deer I shot in a plastic bag in the trunk to bring it back for butchering. (Yes, I do get a TON of weird looks when I pull up in that at national forests and WMA's and hop out in camo with a rifle.)
I skimmed over this apparently! That's hilarious. My Mach1 got driven down dirt roads every day. Even drove through a ditch to get into a field once. It's not easy to cross a 12"+ deep ditch with a mustang 4" off the ground!

·
Registered
1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0L, Automatic Trans, Manual Transfer Case, Manual locking hubs, 3" li
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I skimmed over this apparently! That's hilarious. My Mach1 got driven down dirt roads every day. Even drove through a ditch to get into a field once. It's not easy to cross a 12"+ deep ditch with a mustang 4" off the ground!
lol, gotta do what ya gotta do right? Ive got 106k miles on her and 575rwhp and shes put up with all the bs ive done. Figure its time to let her stay on the asphalt and finally build something for those off road activities.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,994 Posts
lol, gotta do what ya gotta do right? Ive got 106k miles on her and 575rwhp and shes put up with all the bs ive done. Figure its time to let her stay on the asphalt and finally build something for those off road activities.
Damn straight! I bought mi e from the original owner, with 20k on it. I had it to 120k, on its 3rd 4.6 DOHC at 305hp, when a grand marquis pulled a u turn in front of me on a 2 lane highway off the on ramp. I ended up sideways straddling the yellow line in the dark. Totalled, but no injuries. I've still got it, in a heep in the driveway.

Poor thing

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn straight! I bought mi e from the original owner, with 20k on it. I had it to 120k, on its 3rd 4.6 DOHC at 305hp, when a grand marquis pulled a u turn in front of me on a 2 lane highway off the on ramp. I ended up sideways straddling the yellow line in the dark. Totalled, but no injuries. I've still got it, in a heep in the driveway.

Poor thing
Ouch! That's a tragedy. Always my fear modifying something. Just takes one idiot and all that hard work ... Gone

1 - 9 of 9 Posts