Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 89' EB with a 302 not getting fuel to the engine. Of course it had to happen in the middle of the Jemez Mountains in N.M. Anyway, I called the previous owner. He has replaced the internal fuel pump & fuel filter. All that's left is the booster pump or the fuel pump relays right? I've also heard something about an impact switch which may have become disconnected and shut the whole fuel system down. I'm driving my happy ass 2hrs up to the forest tomorrow to hopefully get it fired up again and I'd like a few suggestions.

- ( /\ \/ (-

·
Service before Self
136 Posts
Its an inertia switch and it shouldn't have been activated unless you hit something.

The Truck has two pumps. ONe is in the tank, that is the syphon or feeder pump then the high pressure pump is on the drivers side frame rail on the inside (about under your Left foot under the floor board)

When you turn your ignition on you should hear the pump make a nice even buzz for a second. That is the sound of the pump priming. If you don't hear that then the fuel pump isn't working. Next test would be check that pump for power. If it has power then the pump is bad. If it doesn't have power then you need to chase the electrical. The relay for that pump is on the driver's side fender well near the test plug.

You should also check your fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail (also on the drivers side at the front of the fuel rail for that side)

Sometimes the Fuel pressure regulator goes out usu when that happens it won't start unless you hold WOT then it will run like crap and stall immediately when you take your foot off of the accelerator.

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
Could also be the eec relay. If the fuel relay or eec relay is bad you will not hear the pump prime.

The inertia switch is above the brake pedal. It needs to be Depressed to let the pump turn on.

So if you don't hear your fuel pump priming and your inertia switch is pressed, then its time to try and bypass the relays.

Pull off the fuel relay. Connect the 2 biggest sockets on the harness side with a wire. (could use anything that conducts electricity)

see if pump primes.

do the same thing to the eec relay. Now you bypassed both of them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where is this inertia switch located? The vehicle was in a fender bender a couple years ago but it hit a plastic foriegn vehicle so it wasn't too bad. I've heard it's located at the passenger side floor board near the firewall. I had a passenger in the seat turn around to see a sign suddenly putting a lot of his weight onto his feet and twisting. Could he have jossled the connection loose? I wish I had the Bronco outside my house to check stuff out but it's a couple hours away.

·
Forward Some Money
5,069 Posts
On an 89 it's located on the driver side firewall to the left. Amall rectangular black box with a shielded red button on the top

1 - 5 of 5 Posts