Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i saw a few of you guys at forsfall in north bend oregon last week end. and thought that i should check you guys out. i normally go off road on my quad as my 88 is my tow vehicle but some of the staging areas i start at require a 4x4. when i first got my bronco( about 3 mos ago) i really loved it. now im starting to think that its a basket case. the kid i got it from told me he never took it off road but i found 4 inches of mud caked to the bottom. anyways to make a long story short ive replaced my timing chain cover harmonic balencer starter alternator sylinoid. i lost my water pump on my way back from the dunes. now 2 problems and i need advice. when i start it the starter stays on (i think its my ignition switch) i cant turn it off with the key. and when its warm and i drop it in drive from park it dies unless i give it a lot of gas this does not always work(my guess is a shift sylinoid). heres the question the shifter is on the colum by the switch. could the problem be related? im not a mechanic but im am inclined but never tought. please help. i would really apreciate it. thank you. oh yeah its a 351 with a c6

·
Registered
6 Posts

hey i saw a few of you guys at forsfall in north bend oregon last week end. and thought that i should check you guys out. i normally go off road on my quad as my 88 is my tow vehicle but some of the staging areas i start at require a 4x4. when i first got my bronco( about 3 mos ago) i really loved it. now im starting to think that its a basket case. the kid i got it from told me he never took it off road but i found 4 inches of mud caked to the bottom. anyways to make a long story short ive replaced my timing chain cover harmonic balencer starter alternator sylinoid. i lost my water pump on my way back from the dunes. now 2 problems and i need advice. when i start it the starter stays on (i think its my ignition switch) i cant turn it off with the key. and when its warm and i drop it in drive from park it dies unless i give it a lot of gas this does not always work(my guess is a shift sylinoid). heres the question the shifter is on the colum by the switch. could the problem be related? im not a mechanic but im am inclined but never tought. please help. i would really apreciate it. thank you. oh yeah its a 351 with a c6

The starter solenoid may be sticking on the start up, replace the solenoid, not an expensive part.
If going dead replay the idle air control valve, not an expensive part.

·
penis
3,318 Posts
+1 Solinoids tend to stick on these things (located next to the battery) IAC valve tends to hold carbon a little cleaer works wonders (located next to the throttle body) hope this helps as for the kid who lied kick him in the nuts next time you see him.:thumbup

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
*90xlt,351w,e4od,1356m*79,400,C6,205,19donors*73,400,np435,d20j twin
9,811 Posts
Did any of this start right after replacing those parts?

Have someone crank it, & while continuing to turn over after the key is released, disconnect the wire to the small "S" terminal on the solenoid. If it's a sticky key switch, it'll stop. If it's a bad solenoid, it'll keep cranking. I know you said that you replaced it, but sometimes new ones are bad too. Also double check that it's wired correctly. If it's wired wrong, it's possible for it to energize itself once you crank it.

For that idle problem, start by looking for a vacuum leak. Bad hoses, brake booster, etc., can all affect idle. Eliminate that before going on.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Not trying to be an ass, but it is a 20 year old vehicle. The things you listed is common with an older EFI vehicle. Also, you can find the answer almost any problem you have by using the search button. Your anwers are in the post above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.