Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1993 FORD BRONCO
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has always wanted a Bronco and recently purchased one. It is a 1993 5.0 with about 120k and seemingly in good shape. We have some questions on it that we have been unable using search to resolve.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give.

1. The thermostat occasionally spikes up to almost red and then after a little bit drops back down to normal. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this. After reading the forum my wife burped the radiator. Twice. Both times a lot of bubbles were produced and we added fluid. There appears to be no leaking and the oil seems to be free from bubbles etc. that might indicate the fluid was getting inside. Any ideas? Keep burping it?

2. The vehicle had been intended for a custom rig but the owner lost interest. But, he had removed the spare tire rig and put one inside the vehicle. We don’t like it and bought a swing out on Ebay. Now looking at it where the heck do we drill the holes and install it? Do you think they guy maybe just bonded over the original holes and then just painted it? I’ve attached a photo.

Thank you all for any help!

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
2,928 Posts
When a thermostat starts going bad, your temp will spike now and then. If you’ve already taken care of any air bubbles in the system, it may be time for a new tstat.

Look for a 192° or 195° thermostat to replace it with. Lower temp tstats (160° or 180°) will cause issues with the EFI system thinking it’s still cold and dumping more fuel in. There are some that will fail in the open position (called failsafe I believe) instead of closed, so some folks go with those to prevent overheating when it fails the next time.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,468 Posts
Welcome!

Not all broncos had the external spare tire carrier. Some were internal. If yours didnt originally come with one, the associated supports and bracing wont be present in the fender and tailgate.

·
Super Moderator
24,167 Posts
Yo NMEXPEDITIONS,
WELCOME!

While driving do you hear bubbling and flowing water (coolant) sound from glove box area? Of so, continue burping, because I had to re-burp a few tines in past.
"1.Fill the radiator with a 50/50 mixture of the specified engine coolant concentrate and water. Allow several minutes for trapped air to escape (bubble out) and for engine coolant to flow through the radiator.
2. Replace the radiator cap to its fully installed position, then back off to the first stop. This will prevent high pressure from building up in the cooling system during this part of the fill procedure.
3. Start and idle the engine until the thermostat opens and the radiator upper hose becomes warm.
4. Shut off the engine and allow the engine to cool. Cover the radiator cap with a thick cloth and cautiously remove it. Step back while the pressure releases.
5. Finally, check the radiator and add more engine coolant if needed, following the procedures noted above. Reinstall the radiator cap securely, when finished.
6. If more engine coolant is necessary, fill the overflow reservoir to the appropriate level marked on the bottle..." by FORD

Tire Carrier;
Swing-Away, Type 3 (90-96) Parts Break-Out Diagram (in Swing-Away Tire Carrier (Type 3)

ItemPart NumberDescription
11A401Locking Latch Bracket Reinforcement, Spare Wheel Carrier
21469Spare Wheel Carrier Support
3N606690-S55Screw and Washer
41433Spare Wheel Carrier
5N803207-S100Screw and Washer
61A429Spare Wheel Support
7388577-S150Pushpin
847104Spare Wheel Scuff Pad
957472-S2Screw and Washer
ATighten to 16-27 Nm
(12-20 Lb-Ft)
BTighten to 8-15 Nm
(6-11 Lb-Ft)
Will look for a template and post it.
•°•
Quarter Panel Reinforcement Info & pics for Swing-Away, Type 3 (90-96)
Source: by mickaila & Dustin via ElKabong (Ken, El Kabong) at FSB

El Kabong wrote, "...
If you pull the taillight you can see if it has the internal brace with weld nuts to support the carrier. Interior spare trucks (Like my 90) normally didn't get that brace.

If you decide to add the exterior carrier anyway, you'll need to add bracing inside both the fender & tailgate. The stock brace for the tailgate is easy, it just bolts in. You should be able to locate one in the junkyard. It's more difficult to add the stock bracing to the fender, some of us have made our own..."
Read more @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/spare-tire-carrier.159736/
•°•
Was if speed control, if equipped, recall work completed by a dealership? Call local dealer or register and view status @ https://owner.ford.com; or @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) ... have VIN ready.
The affected vehicles were previously repaired using a wiring harness that is not compatible with the vehicle circuit polarity. As a result, the fuse is located in the output circuit rather than in the intended input power feed circuit, and may not offer the intended protection in the event of an electrical short to ground. This could result in an underhood fire. Dealers will install a new wiring harness, or replace the mating electrical component. east302 provided following for his 93 "I found the recall information on alldata...didn't know it was even there so that's a plus. Mine has the updated harness with two fuses instead of one, so it looks like the recall was addressed correctly."
Use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different that the other years.

For any Bronco questions or to chat about desired modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum faqs @ FAQ
Includes for example:
How To Upload Images To Posts & How to Use Search
See more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) @ Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)

Here is the 1993 Bronco Dealer Brochure in Google Drive @ 93Bronco.pdf

1993 Bronco Dealer Training Video via silver70 @

1993 Bronco, Venezuela Commercial @

See our Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.) & Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.) Contests @ F.O.T.M Voting
See pictures & build info of each Bronco nominated.
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes! They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!
Al

·
I ♥ TTB
4,215 Posts
Nice looking rig!
As mentioned, not all Bronco's came with the swing out, if it did, they did a great job filling and blending the holes.
I'd look at doing a custom rear bumper with a tire mount/swing on it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The other choice is to match up the tire carrier, mark the locations where the holes should be, get a pin of some sort and push....if it goes thru and you find the riv-nut, chances are you will find all the others. If it didn't come with the riv-nuts in the fender you have to touch up a scratch

What about calling the guy that sold it to you and asking him?

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,671 Posts
Yeah, both interior & exterior spare carriers were factory options. As miesk5 mentioned, I think the easiest way to see if it originally had an external carrier is to remove the right taillight & check behing the fender to see if the support bracket is in there. Since you have the interior carrier it seems likely it won't have it, but sometimes someone will convert one.

Mine originally had the interior carrier. I added an exterior carrier. I used a factory brace inside the gate & made braces for the fender. If I had to do it over I think I'd go with a bumper with spare carrier. Mine works ok, & I'm careful with it. I carry a 35x12.50x15 on an aluminum rim, but don't wheel crazy with it. Bumper mounts are stronger.

I'll add the how-to below so you can see the pics in a minute.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,671 Posts
Well, new forum restrictions won't let me in to "edit" so I can copy with all the pics. Here's the link instead. See post 14: Common Replies to FAQs

·
Registered
96 Posts
The easiest way to know if yours originally had an external carrier carrier is to pull the taillight and look if you can see patched over holes and the backing plate on the other side of the qtr panel.

·
Registered
907 Posts
The easiest way to know if yours originally had an external carrier carrier is to pull the taillight and look if you can see patched over holes and the backing plate on the other side of the qtr panel.
i need to check it looks like there was a hole filled on the gate where it was so im thinking so. i got one to put on it. if its not ill do the swap with the metal plate as a brace deal. not a biggie to me as long as it works.

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
1,825 Posts
Nice rig @NMEXPEDITIONS love the color 👍 just something to think about with the external mount spare tire rack... My 82 has interior mount. Totally wanted the exterior mount cause it just screams Bronco but... I've found the interior one works much better for loading my kayaks in the truck. I can fit 2 with the cap on, probably 3 with the cap off and having the interior mount spare tire gives u a great place to strap the kayaks to. With the exterior mount it would be a huge p.i.t.a to get my 'yaks in the rig... Not sure if y'all are into that at all, but... Just food for thought.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thats right! Remove the right side tail light assy and you will see if its equipped for spare tire carrier!

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
Exterior mount is junk it rips the skin off the passenger side of the tailgate. Among other damage when a careless driver let the carrier swing open and bends the passenger fender.

You need a 2 core minimum radiator in these broncos along with a 11x7 transmission cooler. IF you dont both engine and transmission failure will be in the future.

·
Registered
201 Posts
There are a few drawbacks to the exterior carrier. 1) Its harder to access the rear area, more things to do when you go to open it, 2) If you get rear-ended, there will be more damage.

The Plus side is that it just so Bronco and looks right !!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Look into a Bronco Air bumper and see if it meets your needs. I have it and love it. It doesn't rattle and I can lock the swingate open in case I need to drive with the tailgate down or I can disconnect the tire carrier altogether fairly easily if I need to. Another plus is there is no connection points to the quarter panels so the chances of damaging the quarters if I get hit from behind are reduced.

IMG_20190624_193146644_HDR (3).jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife has always wanted a Bronco and recently purchased one. It is a 1993 5.0 with about 120k and seemingly in good shape. We have some questions on it that we have been unable using search to resolve.

1. The thermostat occasionally spikes up to almost red and then after a little bit drops back down to normal. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this. After reading the forum my wife burped the radiator. Twice. Both times a lot of bubbles were produced and we added fluid. There appears to be no leaking and the oil seems to be free from bubbles etc. that might indicate the fluid was getting inside. Any ideas? Keep burping it?

2. The vehicle had been intended for a custom rig but the owner lost interest. But, he had removed the spare tire rig and put one inside the vehicle. We don’t like it and bought a swing out on Ebay. Now looking at it where the heck do we drill the holes and install it? Do you think they guy maybe just bonded over the original holes and then just painted it? I’ve attached a photo.

Thank you all for any help! View attachment 155436 View attachment 155437 View attachment 155438

Thank you all for any help! View attachment 155436 View attachment 155437 View attachment 155438
Remove the pass side tail light and the nutserts for the swing gate are right there in the opening if the truck came with one.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts