Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Look into a Bronco Air bumper and see if it meets your needs. I have it and love it. It doesn't rattle and I can lock the swingate open in case I need to drive with the tailgate down or I can disconnect the tire carrier altogether fairly easily if I need to. Another plus is there is no connection points to the quarter panels so the chances of damaging the quarters if I get hit from behind are reduced.

View attachment 155516
Hey man, Its not recommended driving with the tail gate down, there is nothing to support the glass and a good pot hole will break the glass

·
Registered
53 Posts
First off, nice looking rig.

For your overheating issue if you try all the above remidies and you still have overheating issue, take a look at the fan clutch. I have a '94 and had intermittent overheating issues, tried all the above remedies including replacing radiator with HD one still no luck. I checked the fan clutch per factory shop manual (don't know if I did it correctly) but seemed to pass test. I was at a loss so I went to Pick n Pull pulled a HD fan clutch ($15) installed, solved the problem! When this HD fan clutch enganges, you know its working, sounds like a jet plane. Great for HD wheeling under heavy loads, hot conditions and low speeds.

·
Registered
1993 FORD BRONCO
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yeah, both interior & exterior spare carriers were factory options. As miesk5 mentioned, I think the easiest way to see if it originally had an external carrier is to remove the right taillight & check behing the fender to see if the support bracket is in there. Since you have the interior carrier it seems likely it won't have it, but sometimes someone will convert one.

Mine originally had the interior carrier. I added an exterior carrier. I used a factory brace inside the gate & made braces for the fender. If I had to do it over I think I'd go with a bumper with spare carrier. Mine works ok, & I'm careful with it. I carry a 35x12.50x15 on an aluminum rim, but don't wheel crazy with it. Bumper mounts are stronger.

I'll add the how-to below so you can see the pics in a minute.
Thank you! What bumpers have a spare tire carrier built in? Would I need to get rid of the one I currently bought or be able to use it?

·
Registered
1993 FORD BRONCO
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Mine came with interior mount. Now has custom bumpers with a swing out carrier out back. I can tell you though - don’t envy the exterior mount too much - they have a tendency to rattle.
It’s hideously loud! We live off county maintenance and it is almost hilarious how loud it gets when driving down this bumpy dirt road.

·
Registered
1993 FORD BRONCO
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Nice rig @NMEXPEDITIONS love the color 👍 just something to think about with the external mount spare tire rack... My 82 has interior mount. Totally wanted the exterior mount cause it just screams Bronco but... I've found the interior one works much better for loading my kayaks in the truck. I can fit 2 with the cap on, probably 3 with the cap off and having the interior mount spare tire gives u a great place to strap the kayaks to. With the exterior mount it would be a huge p.i.t.a to get my 'yaks in the rig... Not sure if y'all are into that at all, but... Just food for thought.
I wouldn’t mind it but I’m running 33’s on it now and the spare does not seem to actually fit.

KAyaks! That sounds fun. Hmm. I might have to look into this.

·
Registered
1993 FORD BRONCO
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Exterior mount is junk it rips the skin off the passenger side of the tailgate. Among other damage when a careless driver let the carrier swing open and bends the passenger fender.

You need a 2 core minimum radiator in these broncos along with a 11x7 transmission cooler. IF you dont both engine and transmission failure will be in the future.
I bought the transmission cooler. Trying now to figure out how to hook it up. Unfortunately, the YouTube videos I found kind of gloss over it.

·
Registered
1993 FORD BRONCO
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Look into a Bronco Air bumper and see if it meets your needs. I have it and love it. It doesn't rattle and I can lock the swingate open in case I need to drive with the tailgate down or I can disconnect the tire carrier altogether fairly easily if I need to. Another plus is there is no connection points to the quarter panels so the chances of damaging the quarters if I get hit from behind are reduced.

View attachment 155516
That thing is awesome! Bloody expensive though.

·
Registered
1993 FORD BRONCO
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
First off, nice looking rig.

For your overheating issue if you try all the above remidies and you still have overheating issue, take a look at the fan clutch. I have a '94 and had intermittent overheating issues, tried all the above remedies including replacing radiator with HD one still no luck. I checked the fan clutch per factory shop manual (don't know if I did it correctly) but seemed to pass test. I was at a loss so I went to Pick n Pull pulled a HD fan clutch ($15) installed, solved the problem! When this HD fan clutch enganges, you know its working, sounds like a jet plane. Great for HD wheeling under heavy loads, hot conditions and low speeds.
Thank you! I didn’t think about that. I will put that on the list of items as we go through it one by one.

·
Registered
1993 FORD BRONCO
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thank you all for these reply’s! My wife and I are going to start trying these suggestions out this weekend on the heat issue and I’m going to pop the tail light! Maybe I’ll luck out. The 33’s are too big to fit on the internal mount.

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
I bought the transmission cooler. Trying now to figure out how to hook it up. Unfortunately, the YouTube videos I found kind of gloss over it.
There's a few write ups on FSB. If not OEM you use bracket and rubber spacers to absorb vibrations. Mount it where you can to the core support so it doesn't touch the condenser. Cut the transmission line under passenger front and loop the cooler in place.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,671 Posts
Thank you! What bumpers have a spare tire carrier built in? Would I need to get rid of the one I currently bought or be able to use it?
Typically they're custom built rather than an add on. Here's the bumper sections from Baba Looey's favorites:

Bumpers
1-New Bumper Pics ToddACimer
2-Custom F/R bumper pics 80-96 derrick36 -Lots o' bumpers.
3-VOTE For Oct. '06 FOTM Dave's Bronc 90 -Heavy duty 4-1/2" rear tube bumper. Posts 325 & 327.
4-Rear Bumper Build GKR -Rear winch bumper with left swing tire, hi lift, & gas carrier
5-It Begins...(Rear Bumper) 56K Death Tommy R-Bumper with angled tire carrier.
6-Rear bumper rebuild for tire carrier triplesix -Left swing tire carrier with gas can, hi lift, & Dana 44 hub hinge (Hinge in post 21).
7-Rear Bumper Build waltman -Amazing custom bumper with tire carrier that swings down or out. Finished bumper in posts 156 & 168. Video of operation at bottom of post 112.
8-Lift your Rear Bumper to match a 3" body lift.Gacknar

Bumpers, Vendor
1-Bronco Air site. BoulderBronco (FSB Vendor) -Nice front & rear bumpers.
2-BRONCOAIR REAR BUMPER!!! BoulderBronco (FSB Vendor) -Detail pics before design revisions in post 107, Final design pics in Link 10 below.
3-BroncoAir Rear Bumper Final Design -See post 27.
4-BroncoAir Extreme Duty Winch Bumper (92-96) or BroncoAir Extreme Duty Winch Bumper (87-91)BoulderBronco (FSB Vendor) -BroncoAir site.
5-NEW BUMPER DESIGN! BoonDockBumpers (FSB Vendor)
6-87-96 Bumpers Hefty (FSB Vendor) -More nice bumpers.

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
1,825 Posts
I wouldn’t mind it but I’m running 33’s on it now and the spare does not seem to actually fit.

KAyaks! That sounds fun. Hmm. I might have to look into this.
Im running 33s also. What do u mean the spare doesn't exactly fit? Can u give more detail?

And... To add to your thoughts about kayaking and tire racks... How about a visual? Sorry I don't have a shot from the rear ☹

20190608_182130~2-1.jpg

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
1,825 Posts
Thank you all for these reply’s! My wife and I are going to start trying these suggestions out this weekend on the heat issue and I’m going to pop the tail light! Maybe I’ll luck out. The 33’s are too big to fit on the internal mount.
Ok now I get your other comment... What does your inside mount look like? Mine has a slot in it where the mounting bolt for the tire has about a 5 inch track it can slide in. I imagine I could fit a 37 on mine if it wouldn't hit the tailgate. This if what mine looks like. My mounting bolt for the tire sits just below halfway up that channel in the middle.

20191224_151316~2-1-1-1~2.jpg

And with the tire on
20191225_171813.jpg

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,671 Posts
I wouldn’t mind it but I’m running 33’s on it now and the spare does not seem to actually fit...
I was able to carry a 33 on the interior carrier. It was snug between the rear seat & the gate, but it fit. A 35 fit when aired down.

Be aware that that interior carrier leans the top of the tire toward the passenger side. If you mount the spare straight up it cannot be tightened completely & will vibrate loose. If you look at @BroncMom 's pic above it's pretty clear.

·
Super Moderator
24,169 Posts
Yo NM,
E4OD Cooler Return Line Chart;
Fitting Location Thread Size Flow Direction
Front ¼” Pipe Cooler feed/out
Rear ¼” Pipe Return/in
@ Wayback Machine
by TRANSMISSION EXCHANGE CO
¤¤¤
See attached Standard & Optional E4OD Transmission Fluid Cooler/ Tubes Diagram in F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty, Bronco, 5.0L, 5.8. by Ford
@ 1996 Bronco/F-Series
Item Part Number Description
1 7A095 Optional Transmission Fluid Cooler
Note that the Standard Cooler within Radiator is on Right Side of diagram.
2 8005 Radiator
3 7A031 Fluid Cooler Tube
4 7D273 Fluid Tube Connector
5 372223-S101 C-Clip
6 7N291 Transmission Fluid Cooler Line Clip
7 7A030 Fluid Cooler Inlet Tube
8 Connector (Part of 7000)
9 7000 Automatic Transmission
10 376240-S Clamp
11 N809635-S165A Hose
12 7F113 Inlet Tube
13 7F112 Outlet Tube
A Tighten to 17-23 Lb-Ft
B Tighten to 27.4-38.0 Lb-Inch
C Tighten to 7-11 Lb-Ft

Cooler, B&M; Installation in a 93
Source: by Kevin L at B&M Transmission Cooler Install pics are gone.

Explorer cooler pics in a 94
Source: by pfun41 at 1994 Ford Bronco transmission cooler and auxillary filter pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Suggest you flush out cooler in radiator w/some trans fluid; I've seen some folks more anal than I use Nitrogen to blow the fluid through

Or take it to a shop that has the BG cooler line flush machine.
¤¤¤

21 - 38 of 38 Posts