Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my cousin is going to sell me an 89 ford bronco eddie bauer edition for 300 dollars at the end of august. Right now it needs a new water pump and muffler, to run properly. it also needs a new window motor in the driver window and the rear window. the questions are:
1) do i need to get a good name brand water pump?
2) how do i get to the window motor for the rear window if tis stuck up?

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Welcome to FSB ~ :thumbup

First, DO NOT waste your money buying aftermarket PW/TG motors because they don't usually function as well and don't fit correctly inside the door sheetmetal, stay with the OEM Ford motor and rebuild it or have it rebuilt as it fits in PERFECTLY, the only thing You need to do would be to drill out the "torque pin holes" larger so you can use nuts and bolts to re-install the repaired motor and you'll have easier access the next around, same for the TG motor.

Carefully remove the interior door panel and unplug the PW switch/connector inside, the motors are riveted to the sheetmetal with "torque pins" as I said which usually have to be drilled out to remove the electric motor if you don't have the special torque pin "tool"...lol lol...same goes for the Tailgate motor but here you need to drop the TG and remove the "access skid panel" and you'll notice the motor is in the center of the "spring loaded backing plate", attached to the regulator arms which drive the window up/down.

The most common problem with these motors is the plastic gears inside which can break/crumble apart with age.

There are rebuild kits I've seen on EBay not expensive or search the net etc. if the gearing isn't the problem then you need to check the R/L door switches which can be purchased at any auto parts store in the Help section, check the TG window switch on the dash, usually around the AC/Heater lever area for Voltage and Ohms resistance and through out "harness" itself with a multimeter.

For the TG motor especially because if you drop the TG down you'll see the harness wiring coming out the left rear quarter panel near the tail light area where it goes into the TG box to connect to the TG motor, the harness gets bent and kinked from opening and closing the TG over time causing damage to the wiring and may need to be repaired.

A great tailgate tech source is FSB member Steve83 tailgate tech album which shows indepth pictures and info for repair.

Additional help source is
FSB ~ "search" tool above for similar threads regarding problems
www.broncolinks.com ~ another great info source

Good Luck ~

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Sorry, as for the water pump Brother good quality means less problems down the road just make sure you get the correct one for your year BKO..take the old one with you if necessary.

I like RTV Ultra Copper sealer because it sets up quickly and durable but use a good gasket there AND while you have the WP off I would suggest "backflushing" the cooling system with water only until it flushes clean and you can wash any "reusable" heater/radiator/bypass hoses in Tide to remove the rusty sludge inside, check your thermostat that it's functioning properly and put on a new radiator cap, wash out the overflow tank.

Doing this insures the inside of the engine, radiator and heater core are free of sludge, debris and blockage so the engine will run cooler with less chance of overheating, extend the life of freeze plugs etc.

Good Luck ~

·
Registered
122 Posts
Welcome! to FSB im also very new so idk how much ill be able to help you. Hahaha

·
Registered
12 Posts
hello and welcome to the site. I wish i could help you more but im not really that technically inclined i leave that up to my man

1 - 6 of 6 Posts