Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have tried searching but I can not seem to find the information I need.

I was just given an 87 XLT with an FI 302, AOD, Shift on the fly 4wd.

I was given the truck because they thought (previous owner) had some fuel issues.

I figured out why the fuel pump wasnt working, it wasnt plugged in :doh0715:

My problem is now, It wont idle. It just dies when I lift my foot off the gas it spudders and dies. I thought it was a cold start injector issue... but when it warmed up the same issue.:whiteflag

Now, I shut it off and I tried to restart it, it wont restart. It just cranks away.

I'm frusterated with this thing :( I wanted to go wheelin tomarrow.

Anyone have any ideas?:whiteflag

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
check for codes. it was a free truck no reason to be pissed.

sounds like you still have a fuel issue. injector. also check your sensors, all of them.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: I figured out how to start it. I have to keep my foot on the floor and crank until it starts to catch and then pump the gas.

Once it starts it runs well. I had to turn the idle set screw all the way in to get it to idle. When I put it in gear the battery light flashes every now and then and the oil pressure guage fluctuates. It then smooths out and I can drive it around. It runs well after that.

Where is the IAC? Is it easy to replace? I come from the Chevy and Toyota worlds...

·
Back in TEXAS
1,967 Posts
Sounds like you still have a fuel issue. Did you check BOTH fuel pumps. You have two one at the tank and one on the frame rail.

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
If the idle is dropping low enough, it will cause the battery light to come on (alternator not spinning fast enough to produce voltage) and the oil pressure gauge to drop.

The oil pressure gauge is JUST like an idiot light. Its either on or off. It doesnt matter where on the gauge the needle sits, it does not read oil pressure, it just tells you if you have over 4-5psi. You may have 10, you may have 80. You dont know. So fluctuating oil pressure gauges mean an electrical wiring problem, or the oil pressure is actually below ~5psi. If the RPM drops real low and surges back and forth it may cause that fluctuation.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts