Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.8L Black/Tan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been looking at this forum for some time, probably a year before getting my Bronco in 2018.

I found some super helpful info (on FSB) when I was having an intermittent stall issue that turned out to be the distributor. Clues about checking SPOUT connector finished my troubleshooting.

I have a few things I may put out there and get some ideas. My Bronco is pretty nice, mostly stock. At 188K my motor still sounds like a sewing machine but looks like the rear main seal is starting to complain.

Long term goal is tweak how it sits, maybe engine swap, get it looking even better on outside.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,470 Posts
Welcome to our awesome community! Very nice truck you have! Glad to hear that you've already used this forum to solve an issue. The information and help here is priceless. Many here that have years of experience and can pinpoint problems very quickly.

We'll see you around!

·
Super Moderator
29,039 Posts
Yo WheatState96,
Welcome and congratulations on buying the best year Bronco ever made by Ford! It looks great.
ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed. If you still have concerns about Recalls, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center:
US: 800-392-3673 | CA: 800-565-3673
Note: 3673 spells "FORD" on phone keys
For the hearing- or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunication Relay Service by dialing 71
... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
To confirm current status, use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than the 94-96 recall.

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members).

See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links), includes "how do I get the tailgate glass to...", etc.

Here's the 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual partial

96 Bronco Owner's Guide, Maintenance Schedules & Parts and Accessories by Ford @ Owner Manuals | fleet.ford.com

96 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ 1996 Ford Bronco Technical Info pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net ... scroll down

96 Bronco Quick Tips Brochure Excerpts & some Eddie Bauer options @ 1983 Ford Bronco 96 EB Bronco Brochures pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

See our Sites' FAQs, includes for example:
How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts
How To Search The Site
What is the Difference Between the Showcase and Gallery

Try to find time to participate and vote in our next Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.

Al

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,301 Posts
A big welcome from the Topeka area! Theres a very scant few of us wheat-staters here on the board. (Almost wrote Jayhawkers until i saw the power cat license plate!) I could care less about cats and birds lol

Great looking Bronco! Is that Zia mural in Wichita or down in NM?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
that thing looks pretty dang clean, those street tires though....

96 351W should be a roller block, and MAF, that is very good. automatic?

instead of an engine swap, I'd look at a rebuild if the rear main is going out, and maybe a mild stroke and cam, better heads and call it a day, should be able to get well into the 300hp range easily enough, and then just reprogram the ECM as needed. The transmission there are options, I think that should be the E4OD, which many consider a weak point, there is apparently some internal swaps that can be done with a later model transmission (can't recall which) which really beef it up. Personal preference would be to change it to a manual t-case shifter if it currently is electronic shift, and manual hubs if those are automatic.

·
Registered
1982 FSB 302, c6, BW1356 manual, manual hubs, manual windows, 3.00 gears, 31x10.5 Kenda A/T
905 Posts
Welcome from a little east of you! I bought mine out of Wichita, well Andover, a while back. Congratulations it looks like a great rig.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
975 Posts
Wow, Great looking Bronco, I like them stock, and yours is perfect just like it is. I wouldn't change a thing... ok headers & an exhaust, but that is all they need.

I see a lift & tires, then the gears needed after, as spending $5000 grand to make your Bronco get way worse gas mileage, then make it ride like shit & be hard to get in to, and as an added bonus, it no longer fits in your garage. No thank you, been there, done that!!

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
2,158 Posts
Welcome to FSB and congrats on the sharp 96!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts