Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought (stole) a new bronco today, the title says 1996, the sticker in the drivers door jam dates 10/95, throwing me off is it has the plug under the ash tray, but also has the smog pump on it, it’s maf as well. When I look into the obd11 port not all the pin outs are filled, so I’m just wondering if I have a ligit OBD11 truck. 5.8l If anyone has any insight I appreciate it ! Didn’t know where else to post this, long time lurker.. great info on this site.

Only pics I have right now

6CE9B90F-51F5-43C1-944C-68FA851EB374.jpeg
3FBDDAC6-B825-4B29-8C94-B2899526B9D0.jpeg

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,294 Posts
So I just bought (stole) a new bronco today, the title says 1996, the sticker in the drivers door jam dates 10/95, throwing me off is it has the plug under the ash tray, but also has the smog pump on it, it’s maf as well. When I look into the obd11 port not all the pin outs are filled, so I’m just wondering if I have a ligit OBD11 truck. 5.8l If anyone has any insight I appreciate it ! Didn’t know where else to post this, long time lurker.. great info on this site.
Congrats on stealing a beautiful bronco!

My 96 was rolled off in 11/95 - it’s a 96 don’t worry, and it’s OBDII if you have the plug under the dash. The 96 5.8L does have MAF but I don’t think it should have a smog pump. Maybe California emissions had smog pumps on the 96 5.8L - not sure there. My 96 just has a pulley.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
171 Posts
@TFOX01 Congrats. That’s a beautiful truck. Sorry, can’t help with your issue, but damn that’s a awesome color!

My EB is missing the quarter panel Bronco EB emblem. I need to source one.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
171 Posts
Here’s your truck’s Daddy:
1989 Sales brochure
PS: we need more pics of that beauty
C690A52B-B46A-4917-9C85-BFC57895F396.jpeg
B1B77BD8-B9D5-4F43-969B-62A96F099DDC.jpeg

·
Man of endless projects
9,055 Posts
vehicles have a 'model year' date what is different than a calander year date. generally the next model year starts is i think around october. so vehicles manufactures 8/95 and later would be classified as a 96 so you should have a 96 with obd-ii

is your truck a califonia model by chance? originally a 302 swapped to a 351? are you sure its defiantly a smog pump and not a bypass pulley?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Jeez that’s a good looking EB Bronco...Tan interior I assume? Kinda wishing I got the BFG AT’s instead of the Michelin’s, I like the look of RWL taking up more of the tire.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 1991 EB as well😎 , so I just went out and double checked and it is just the smog pulley no pump. 👍 Original paint. Someone buffed off the factory pin stripe and now has vinyl pinstripe on it , but every panel has origal paint. Some rust on the rear quarters though.
A3A26911-7898-4420-B16F-E76FA5798DC8.jpeg
FAA8AED3-AC3B-4B18-A723-E1CBA14EE272.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
24,685 Posts
Yo TFO,
Congrats on acquiring the best year Big Bronco EVER produced!
VIN Decoding by NHTSA @ Welcome to VIN Decoding :: provided by vPIC

ASAP, find out if speed control, if equipped, recall work completed by a dealership. Call local dealer or register and view status @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) ... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
To confirm current status, use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than the 94-96 recall.

Here's the 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual partial

96 Bronco Owner's Guide, Maintenance Schedules & Parts and Accessories by Ford @ Owner Manuals | fleet.ford.com

96 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ 1996 Ford Bronco Technical Info pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net ... scroll down

96 Bronco Quick Tips Brochure Excerpts & some Eddie Bauer options @ 1983 Ford Bronco 96 EB Bronco Brochures pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Register to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site .
Enjoy!
Al

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So is this that temporary fix that they had until more switches came available? Is the part number on the blue tag the new part I should get ? Thanks !
74CEF6E1-2F8B-489C-90A1-1B121F2AC0C8.jpeg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks man, is UltraGauge the best thing going for the 0bd11 broncos ? For reading and trans temp ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I realize my above 👆 post probably sounded really dumb , I think was talking to someone the same time I posted that . Lol , anyways haven’t looked up obd11 bronco stuff for a few years and all the threads about “tuners” are pretty old , didn’t know what has came out.. if anything even has.

I plan on going with new heads, intake, cam don’t know my combo for that yet, but obviously wanna get some headers , Cat-less mid pipe and mufflers n tail pipes. In the future so what is the plus to having this 96 with obd11 ? Be side diagnostics . ?

If I want to tune it am I going to be using the obd11 port ? Or the j3 port on my ecu ?

On a side note, I’m kinda shocked my fully loaded Eddie Bauer didn’t come with the keyless entry box under the dash , the PO gave me a fob with the bronco when I bought it , so he definitely had my hopes set high lol. Maby because it’s ( 10/95 ) 1996.
589EB501-2447-4560-BEF0-4905121E324E.jpeg

·
Man of endless projects
9,055 Posts
i am for one a big fan of my UltruGauges. i have one in my 96 bronco and one in my OBD-II swapped 90 F250. they are getting abit dated now but i still think that they are very convenient and great for showing live data easilly. there may be other alternatives now such as using Torque app with bluetooth adapter, and im sure there are other options also for OBD-II. but these work great for me. jsut the trans temp reading alone is a big plus and the reason i originally got them.

im not really sure on the broncos ability to tune with the OBD-II. ive seen on facebook groups that its not really supported but i have no way to really know that. i use the Quarterhorse on the J3 port. its older tech now but it does work. tuning might have a high learning curve however. Quarterhorse also needs software liceanse and a 'strategy' so if you go that route i would say use TweecerRT. the Tweecer has its own software and i dont think it needs strategies boguht individually. or get the Quarterhorse from CoreTuning as the package which i think they inclued a strategy (not actually sure). i made the mystake of buying the Quarterhorse and software individually and then realized that the strategy cost 200$ alone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts