Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Man of endless projects
9,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a used Quarterhorse and installed it in my 96 Bronco 351w TIN3 EEC. problem is i have no idea what im doing and stupid me didnt think that the tuner would still have the previous owners Mustang tune on it. Now that it thinks its a Mustang the truck barley runs and im having trouble getting it back to stock using Binary Editor. i cant figuer out how to make it read the factory tune instead of his Mustangs tune. also when i read the factory tune, it asks me what strategy it is and i have no idea and maybe one of you might now.

anyone got any help? or anyone have the factory strategy for this EEC saved and willing to send me? anybody have better custom tune for this EEC that will work for a stock engine?

im sure once i can get a strategy loaded, i can figuer it this all out over time but since i dont know it i cant seem to get started. i want to practive using this for when i eventually do my 418w build

·
Man of endless projects
9,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
figures I had to pay 200$ for the strategy from Core Tuning. here I thought tuning was gonna be easy and cheap. o well it seems to be working now

anyone recommend a couple simple little things to change that will increase power? not too worried about fuel efficiency. theres alot of things I can change but not sure if they will help or hurt

·
Registered
522 Posts
anyone recommend a couple simple little things to change that will increase power? not too worried about fuel efficiency. theres alot of things I can change but not sure if they will help or hurt
Supercharger.:goodfinge

Seriously, just taking over the tune is not going to let you make much, if any, more power.:twak Now that you have the ability to tune the A/F ratio, you need to add MORE AIR and MORE FUEL to make more power and then adjust the tune to compensate for the changed condition.

If you are not going to do forced induction, I would think you would need better flowing heads and a more aggressive camshaft to make more power. You will need bigger injectors to keep up with anything making more air.

Seriously, you can drop an Eaton supercharger from an '04 Lightning onto that 351 with a little work. Ask me how I know.:rockon

Newly Blown 351 Bronco

Baxter

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
I think he has a set of AFRs and a 408 stroker coming soon to a bronco near him! I don't know if that is what he is tuning now or if he is tuning the stock engine to "practice first".

tim

·
Man of endless projects
9,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes I have a set of AFRs and a 418w stroker kit and Trickflow intake sittin in my room right next to me. and yes im trying to practice with the stock tuning first so I know what im doing when I do the build.

I have had almost no luck doing anything so im glad im trying to practice. when I read the stock turn from the PCM, it has quite a few differences than the strategy I had to buy which was suppose to have the same values. when I laod the PCM tune it comes up with alot of errors of incorrect values. also I cant write either the bought or stock tune as it says it isn't the correct strategy for my PCM. soo frustrating. also its a pain in the butt to get it to read the stock tune instead of the one of the laoded tunes. andsince I don't have any loaded tunes on it now, it goes all stupid mode and I swear is leaving the injectors wide open

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
yes I have a set of AFRs and a 418w stroker kit and Trickflow intake sittin in my room right next to me. and yes im trying to practice with the stock tuning first so I know what im doing when I do the build.

I have had almost no luck doing anything so im glad im trying to practice. when I read the stock turn from the PCM, it has quite a few differences than the strategy I had to buy which was suppose to have the same values. when I laod the PCM tune it comes up with alot of errors of incorrect values. also I cant write either the bought or stock tune as it says it isn't the correct strategy for my PCM. soo frustrating. also its a pain in the butt to get it to read the stock tune instead of the one of the laoded tunes. andsince I don't have any loaded tunes on it now, it goes all stupid mode and I swear is leaving the injectors wide open
Well I can't help you with that, but I did order all my conversion kit from Fiveology Racing today. I wanted to use the 351 computer I have, but ultimately decided it would be easier to use the whole kit.

Hang in there, things will work out eventually. I am still waiting on the results of this 418, AFRs, etc turn out. I now wish I'd have spent the money on the mass air swap when I was building my engine and did a stroker too! Sigh!! lol

tim

Reactions: bsd4083

·
Man of endless projects
9,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I been waiting on getting my F250 with Explorer 5.0 swap project streetable. its very slow and alot of hurdles but im hopefully going to register it this week and then get exhaust put on it then worry about small stuff later. once its streetable then ill be able to start this project with a way to get around still. ill probably get exhaust built for it first, then I can start the rest. chances are it will still be a couple months till im into it.

honestly im gotten so far into it I decided to just go all out it seems. it started with my tranny loosing reverse and needing to swap the tranny. waterpump getting a leak and needing a timing chain. then it went to im going to freshen up the engine with its 260k. then to GT40 heads I had. then to a 418w stroker. then to AFR heads. then to Trickflow intake. then to custom exhaust and big oil pan. now to tuner. yet I still need a tranny and still have a waterpump leak

·
Registered
522 Posts
Sounds like a fun project. I wish I could help. I have exactly zero experience with the Quarterhorse. My truck a=is a '96 (OBDII) and I do all my programming with a Mongoose cable and BE. It is a sharp learning curve. Once you get a little practice on the setup it will become second nature. Lots of good info at eectuning and Clint and Adam regret to work with, at least they were for me.

Good luck,

Baxter

·
Registered
228 Posts
I run a 408 and used to run a QH, I direct flash now. I would recommend you get a tune from Popsracing so that you can look at what has been done by someone that knows how to tune already. The learning curve is sttep and you will not find a great deal of tuning expertise on this site. If you want to dive in, go to eectuning.org, but again, I would highly recommend you get some help and not blow up your engine. Also, the stock tune out of your 351w will need to be heavily modified to run that stroker, just know that going in, you will need to get some help whether you pay for it, or spend weeks trying to get enough knowledge to do it yourself.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Clint and Adam regret to work with, at least they were for me.

That was supposed to say that Clint and Adam are great to work with. I also recommend Pops Racing. I could not have gotten my supercharged 351 working without Adam's help.

Baxter

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
That was supposed to say that Clint and Adam are great to work with. I also recommend Pops Racing. I could not have gotten my supercharged 351 working without Adam's help.

Baxter
Is Pops Racing the "economical" guy that will burn a tune for our trucks? Seems I have read about him somewhere before. My kit arrived for my mass air conversion, but I haven't gathered the last couple of pieces to begin the conversion.

tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts