Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dad bought a new pickup last week to pull our toys around.(now i have to buy a gooseneck to fit his and my off-road rigs) Its a 08 F350 crewcab dually 4x4 with the 6.4 powerstroke.. the one thing he does not like is the little tires (245/75R17 10ply) on it, and the fact it sits lower than the SRW pickups. Has anyone come across a bigger tire that would fit on them in a 10 ply?
i have looked and looked for a diff size but can't seem to find any bigger than about 3/4 inch taller in a 235/80R17.. also anyone have any idea why the DRW sits lower than the SRW?
here is a pic...

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Beautiful truck man.. Nice color scheme.

Does it yank your truck around with ease?

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beautiful truck man.. Nice color scheme.

Does it yank your truck around with ease?
in town can hardly tell its back there. i only have pulled with it once (about 5 miles) out of town and it seemed effortless. the built in trailer brake controller is sweet! this weekend i'm going to be going about 150 miles to get a 68 F-150 and a LTD, so i'll know how it pulls down thw highway than..

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
the DRW sit lower for some stupid reason. they all have for serveral years now. only guess is they figure your not needing ground clearance in a DRW application. just 4wd for snow and crap.

A couple pointers for that new 6.4

fuel mileage is going to blow for a while. look for about 10mpg out of it until you get some miles on it. 6.0s never started getting decent until around 30-50k and I expect at least than on a 6.4 as well.

It WILL make oil due to the REGEN process. Its about a quart every oil change

DO NOT every run gas through this thing. It wil wipe every fuel system component out faster than you can say oops.

Pray you dont have to work on it yourself, gotta pull the cab for like 80% of the engine repairs. :toothless

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A couple pointers for that new 6.4

fuel mileage is going to blow for a while. look for about 10mpg out of it until you get some miles on it. 6.0s never started getting decent until around 30-50k and I expect at least than on a 6.4 as well.

It WILL make oil due to the REGEN process. Its about a quart every oil change

DO NOT every run gas through this thing. It wil wipe every fuel system component out faster than you can say oops.

Pray you dont have to work on it yourself, gotta pull the cab for like 80% of the engine repairs. :toothless
we did know the fuel milage was going to suck for a while. We managed to put 500 miles on it in the last week and averaged 12 mpg. my Dad wants me to drive it to get some miles on it just so the fuel milage goes up.
thanks for the heads up on the oil though.
the first time i opened the hood i said " HOLLY SH*T!" its hard to even see the belt on the front of the motor, i told my dad " i don't think i will be workin on this thing much.."
i don't know how people don't pay attention and would put gas in one of these things, the fuel cap is even green... o well.
the one problem we have had is the compass in the dash won't stay calabrated. the thing tells you to circle slowly to calabrate, than said calabration completed.. so start to drive and all of the sudden it pops up to calabrate than flashes back to calabration completed. than goes away.. kinda annoying.. have not had a chance to bring it to the dealer to have them look at it..

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Very nice. I bet he got it for a pretty fair price too. I've heard advertisements of nearly half off sticker on diesel trucks around here.

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
Nice rig, you definently need a bigger trailer though. So whats gonna happen to you're van now that you have a new to rig?

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
Very nice. I bet he got it for a pretty fair price too. I've heard advertisements of nearly half off sticker on diesel trucks around here.
I doubt it on a brand new one. maybe a used or like a year old.

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice rig, you definently need a bigger trailer though. So whats gonna happen to you're van now that you have a new to rig?
I've needed a bigger trailer for some time.. i'm lookin for a gooseneck. the pickup is my Dads so i can use it whenever i want,but it would be a waist for me to drive it around town. the van is still going to be my DD. I'm hoping to start on the 4x4 swap next week.. i've been to busy to start it this past week.

seemoremud said:
MSRP was around $58,000. he did trade in his 01 supercrew.. they gave him $6,200 for it ,when it was all said and done he paid right around $35,000. so thats not too bad..
also i really don't think its going to get any 22.5s on it, maybe get some 19.5s off a F450 for it, but i have not looked to see if the lug pattern is the same.

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dont think 450 wheels will just bolt on. the hubs are different along with the lug pattern IIRC
ya your right.. i just got done doin some research on it.. looks like the 350 is 8 on 200mm and the 450-550 was somthing like 8 on 225mm.

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
they make conversion kits
yes they make convertion kits to put "big rig" wheels (22.5 or 24.5) on a one ton pickup, but i really don't think it would look good, it would need a lift kit to fit them, the link that JoeBob1901 posted shows some 19.5 wheels that would look good with some 245/70R19.5s on it. that might be what ends up happening... unless they come out with some new tire sizes in 17 inch soon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts