Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
OMF
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the 96 F-250 with 7.3 for a few years now, and it does okay, but it is maxed out towing my camper and Bronco so I decided to upgrade.

I need to be able to have a flat bed capable of loading the Bronco on and taking to the trail heads rather than driving it. It's not great on the street anymore and the race tires wear out very quickly.
I kicked around the idea of getting a F-550, but a newer truck costs $30k or more, then I have to stretch the frame, and even then it is basically at it's reasonable limit.

Then I started looking into semi trucks. It is amazing how far your dollar goes, especially with California's newer emissions standards.
People are selling older trucks off since they won't be able to drive them after 2021.

I picked up this Freightliner for a song. It's a 2004, pre-EGR engine, with a factory single axle. Engine had an in-frame rebuild about 225k ago.

I added a 9' flatbed, still a work in progress, and some removable dovetails for the Bronco.
This thing is awesome, 10+ MPG and tows my set up like it's not there. Running up grades that I would have been in 3rd gear with the peddle to the floor I now pull in 10th with the cruise on and it doesn't even breathe heavy, amazing!!

Old tow set up

Truck when I got it

Getting loaded up with the hauler

Buggy loaded up!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
man, nice. I keep thinking about moving out west, not to cali west, but ariz, nev, NM, or something, just for the outside shit to do that doesn't involve a swamp and constant 100% humidity. and being able to find nice rust free stuff. (cali would be nice, but it's full of these weird fuckers called liberals that don't like my guns and stroked big block swapped trucks....)

you got some vids of that buggy in action? would love to see it.

Reactions: raleigh

·
Registered
93 XLT 347, GT40 Heads, Bassani headers/exhaust, E4OD
1,312 Posts
Nice!

Had to chuckle. Reminds me of my brother. He's a long haul OO with a wood deck gooseneck trailer (he moves a lot of oversized loads and weird stuff because they can nail cribbing to his trailer deck).

Little over a year ago we're moving my mother out of the house she's been in 50+ years and diving up excess furniture. My brother rents a small box truck, one way, mileage only. Fills it full of stuff, loads it on his trailer and hauls it back to South Carolina from Virginia. Turns it in with something like 20-25 miles on it...

·
OMF
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
man, nice. I keep thinking about moving out west, not to cali west, but ariz, nev, NM, or something, just for the outside shit to do that doesn't involve a swamp and constant 100% humidity. and being able to find nice rust free stuff. (cali would be nice, but it's full of these weird fuckers called liberals that don't like my guns and stroked big block swapped trucks....)

you got some vids of that buggy in action? would love to see it.

Reactions: Jimmy Dean

·
Registered
821 Posts
That's awesome! I've wanted to do the same thing for years. Does your state require a cdl? Is is registered an an rv or commercial? How did you go about getting insurance?

I want an International with a dt466.

·
OMF
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's awesome! I've wanted to do the same thing for years. Does your state require a cdl? Is is registered an an rv or commercial? How did you go about getting insurance?

It is registered as a commercial truck for private use, I looked at RV registration but the insurance was the kicker there. The truck would only be covered when pulling the camper, which is dumb.

The policy is a Progressive commercial policy with no freight, the freight insurance is the real expensive part.

Technically I the only endorsement I need is air brakes since the whole set up is under 26,000#, but in Nevada we have a Non commercial Class A that i will be getting.
Testing and requirements are the same as a CDL but no logs and no annual physical.

I've heard the DT466 is quite underpowered, the 530 is a better motor, but still no where near what a big engine is. For all the hassle I would go straight for a full size semi rather than a medium duty truck

·
OMF
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
soooo,
what are you going to do with that F-250 ?
Oh I'm keeping that, I love that truck!
Just about to turn 300k and runs amazing.

Also I need it to put the trailer under the RV cover, the Freightliner is too big to make the turn.

Reactions: White Dragon

·
Registered
821 Posts
It is registered as a commercial truck for private use, I looked at RV registration but the insurance was the kicker there. The truck would only be covered when pulling the camper, which is dumb.

The policy is a Progressive commercial policy with no freight, the freight insurance is the real expensive part.

Technically I the only endorsement I need is air brakes since the whole set up is under 26,000#, but in Nevada we have a Non commercial Class A that i will be getting.
Testing and requirements are the same as a CDL but no logs and no annual physical.

I've heard the DT466 is quite underpowered, the 530 is a better motor, but still no where near what a big engine is. For all the hassle I would go straight for a full size semi rather than a medium duty truck
I've heard the dt466 is underpowered. Although it is fully mechanical and that's the reason I like them.

I'm not sure what Oregon requires but I've seen some medium duty trucks (like fl70) registered with normal plates.

What engine does your Freightliner have? I used to drive a KW with a 60 series Detroit.

·
OMF
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've heard the dt466 is underpowered. Although it is fully mechanical and that's the reason I like them.

I'm not sure what Oregon requires but I've seen some medium duty trucks (like fl70) registered with normal plates.

What engine does your Freightliner have? I used to drive a KW with a 60 series Detroit.
This has the Mercedes MBE4000, 12.7.
It is an 04, so it pre EGR, no emissions BS on it at all, and it had a rebuild about 250k ago, so it's a pretty fresh motor.

A lot of the Cummins N14 motors are fully mechanical, just have to get an older one, 94 and older I believe

·
--------------
'96 XL EEC-V 347 E40D 1356 411 6" lift 35x12.50x15
4,750 Posts
Oh I'm keeping that, I love that truck!
Just about to turn 300k and runs amazing.

Also I need it to put the trailer under the RV cover, the Freightliner is too big to make the turn.
Damn,,,
er, uh, i mean,
Right On, I get it. (y)

that is a pretty sweet set up you got going on @raleigh

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,760 Posts
About 6 months ago the local JY had about 10 trucks and busses with the DT466 in em. I snagged one of the turbo's.

Dave, thats a sweeeeet setup you have now. Hilda tucks right up on there!

Reactions: raleigh

·
OMF
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First trip with camper and the Freightliner, love this set up, pulls the camper effortlessly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts