Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new/someone else's old toy.

I've been thinking about a RTT for a few weeks now and this one popped up used on CL.

It's a Mombasa RTT 9008 Expedition Plus.

I figured I can try it to see if I like it and not lose too much if I decide I don't.

If I decide I do like it, I'll sell this one and get the new one I have been eyeing.

It's almost like the Mitsubishi was made for a RTT.

It fits perfectly on the factory rails and the rear of the sunroof opening is right at the front of the tent making for easy installation/removal of the cover.

Going to try it on this truck a few times and if all goes well I'll be selling my popup camper and getting some kind of rack to mount this on the Bronco.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Cool.

Would have been cooler on a BKO, but, whatever, its still cool. Hope it works out for ya. :thumbup

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's a nice set up hopefully it meets your expectations. Assuming it has a hard floor on the part that hangs off the back off the vehicle? Appears support could be an issue especially with a couple people in there. Looks like it will sleep 2 comfortably?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool.

Would have been cooler on a BKO, but, whatever, its still cool. Hope it works out for ya. :thumbup
If it works out like I think it will, it will end up on the Bronco. Right now the Bronco has no way to mount a RTT so the Mitsubishi got the job.

That's a nice set up hopefully it meets your expectations. Assuming it has a hard floor on the part that hangs off the back off the vehicle? Appears support could be an issue especially with a couple people in there. Looks like it will sleep 2 comfortably?
Yes, it has a hard floor that's split at the fold joint. A piano hinge runs all the way across and the two floor sections mate with a tongue and groove fit. Very sturdy.

The ladder partially supports the overhang. It's plenty sturdy also.

I believe the weight capacity is 600+ lbs.

Room inside is 96" x 56" so lots of room for 2, maybe 3 could fit if they're good friends.

It comes with a 3" memory foam mattress and you leave your pillows and covers in the tent when you fold it. Makes setup a 5 minute job from parking the truck to crawling in for bed. Add a few more minutes if you want to put the springers in to extend all the awnings.

Hoping to try it out this weekend. Mother-in-law is coming to visit tomorrow so this thing appeared at the perfect time. :toothless

If it turns out that I really like this style of camping, THIS is the tent I'm going to buy.

It includes the annex room and has gotten really good reviews on the websites I've visited.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
If it turns out that I really like this style of camping, THIS is the tent I'm going to buy.

It includes the annex room and has gotten really good reviews on the websites I've visited.

Ummmm....its a little different, but if thats what you want :shrug

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$1200? Geez. That's a lot to pay for a mother-in-law suite. :histerica
You don't know my mother-in-law. :toothless

Was the used one about half that? I couldn't find a mfr's website, but this seems to have most of the specs:
http://www.expeditionops.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=86

It looks a lot bulkier closed than I would have expected. Does the floorpan have a tall lip all the way around?
Yes it has a lip.

Closed, the highest point is about 12" thick and that's the high center section where the ladder is stored.

Driving the car I can't really tell it's up there unless I look through the sunroof.

I'm sure it will affect MPG some but I'm guessing much less than towing a ~2600lb popup camper.

I got it for $300, but it does need the travel cover repaired or replaced ~$100 for a new one.

Ummmm....its a little different, but if thats what you want :shrug

Those colors would TOTALLY match my Bronco!

Mine didn't come with the fuzzy fringe :cry

I wonder if I can still get that? :toothless

And a Miataclipse to haul it? :thumbup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts