Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FSM Lifetime
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

So I've been wheeling a lot recently with my dad, and we've been having a good time. I've been taking out my diesel Bronco on tons and 43s, and he's been out in his early Bronco on 33s.

We've been having a blast, but after our latest trip and some carnage on his rig (smashed in fender and blown up rear), he started looking for a cheap beater to be able to thrash on a little harder and not mind bruising up. That's when we found this thing, and it just feels wrong posting it on here.

It's a 1988 K5 Blazer, but it has a ton of goodies. The previous owner swapped in one tons, it has 4.56 gears, a Detriot locker in the rear, hydro assist up front with DOM steering and high steer, a 6.2 diesel out of a Suburban, 37s on military beadlocks, plus hydro boost and a bunch of other cool odds and ends. Best part was, we were able to snag it for $1500. Then, for $300 more we were able to get a soft top and some spare parts. All in all, it seemed like a really good deal and the start of a cool build. Especially because it has so many similarities with my Bronco build. We couldn't help but snag it.

Since then we've dragged it home, and been working on getting it to fire up. While doing so, we've noticed how unique of a rig it is, so I thought it'd be cool to put together a thread on here documenting it. If you want, feel free to check out the video below and let me know if there's anything you'd want to see. The goals to have it running soon, and put it through it's paces next to my Bronco. My other goal is to keep my dad from going overboard with fixing it up/fixing the body, to the point where he doesn't want to wheel this one either.

·
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.
914 Posts
The purists may give you crap, but my long time buddy had a K5 for years and we wheeled the he$! out of that thing. I loved it. Nice score!

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,582 Posts
haters will hate, but that's one helluva a good deal for a rig that looks like you could head out to the trails tomorow...Guy must have needed the $$ bad..

Reactions: BigBlue 94

·
Registered
1996 Bronco - Eddie Bauer 5.8L
279 Posts
Cool truck. Going to fix that rust? Or let it rot out?

·
FSM Lifetime
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The purists may give you crap, but my long time buddy had a K5 for years and we wheeled the he$! out of that thing. I loved it. Nice score!
Thanks man! My dad had a few of them over the years, so it's cool to have one again and it should be a fun toy for the fleet.

·
FSM Lifetime
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haters will hate, but that's one helluva a good deal for a rig that looks like you could head out to the trails tomorow...Guy must have needed the $$ bad..
I thought so! So far it has needed an injection pump (about $600), but even then its hard to beat. I think the reason we got it for such a deal is because it was rusty and it wouldn't start. If it was just rusty or just wouldn't start I feel like it would have been snatched up pretty quick. Plus, I don't think theres a huge following for those old non-turbo diesels.

·
FSM Lifetime
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool truck. Going to fix that rust? Or let it rot out?

We're going to fix it, but I'm not sure to what degree. I originally thought we were just going to cut out a lot of the rot around the wheel wells and maybe patch up some other spots and bondo the rest, but now my dads talking about getting patch panels. I'm sure it'll end up looking half way decent; probably too decent for the original plan of it being a woods beater. We shall see!

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
18,335 Posts
A blazer is the perfect beater... :ROFLMAO:

Thats a hell of a deal. Should make a great rig

1 - 8 of 8 Posts