Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone, I just picked up an 84 Bronco yesterday for $450. The body it quite nice for around here. It has only been around New England for a year. Spent the rest of its life in NC. Anyway, its only problems were it didn't run and the rear end is messed up. Figured out the no run problem in about 5 minutes, Ign. Coil. So now it runs. I took a few pics of the rear end to see what you guys think. It appears that the pinion seal has been completely pulled out of the housing. Could I just replace it and the truck will run fine or should I just steal the whole 8.8 out of 86 and replace this one?? Well here are some pics, hope they work. Haven't posted pics in forever.

Info: 84 Bronco title says XLT, 351W, C6, don't know about the tcase, 8.8 rear, odometer reads 47,000 and change, don't know if it is original or not, the body and interior and chassis seem all to clean for the truck to have 147,000 but i guess I'll never know.

·
Registered
331 Posts
$450 is a damn good price. Pics work great. You could always run a carfax report. I think tractorcrusher has an unlimited search plan. Not sure if there is a year limitation or not.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I need to get this thing in motion cuz the engine on my 86 won't start and the one in the 78 is about to blow a few pistons through the hood. So, should I just yank the 8.8 out of my 86 or is there an easy fix for this one in the pic?? Can i take the carrier out and tighten something or am I gonna have to replace the pinion shaft all together?? Thanks for the help.

Jon.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Replace seal

I would get the seal replaced the one in my old 86 f150 was leaking so I had to have it replaced cost all of about 50 dollars.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been around here everyday, just haven't had anything informative to post so I've just been browsing and taking in all the tech.

Yeah, I don't know whats going on with that axle. I just know that I took the yoke off and I can grasp the pinion shaft and move it all over the place. Shouldn't it be fixed in place and just spin around, not wobble and flop??

·
Registered
18 Posts
nope you shouldn't fix that rearend, you should pull it out and but my 8.8:thumbup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts