Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about getting a new truck or making the one I have more unique. Dollars and cents made the decision so I started looking at used after market parts and wheels were at the top of the list.

Here's a stock pic for comparison

I picked up a set of project wheels. Well used and slightly abused Procomp Rock Crawlers with fake beadlocks/rock rings $120 with some really worn out BFGs.

I started the clean up by removing all the bolts from the rock rings and prepping the wheels for sand blasting

I missed getting a pic after blasting but I had them powder coated with flat wrinkle black. Very impressed with the finish. $50 for blasting and $60 for powder coat.

While I was waiting for the wheels to be done I found tapered lug nuts on eBay for $40 and ordered 316 stainless hardware for the rock rings for another $40. Mocked up the wheels and center caps before I mounted them

Got them mounted and balanced only to find out the centers wouldn't fit with the lug nuts. Turns out the center cap flange was bigger on the new nuts.

After a bit of work all the center cap tabs were bent to fit and I mounted up the caps

Overall I'm very happy with the new look and the wheels aren't something anybody else can order online. And the price was right.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
I think it looks a lot better with the new wheels bud :thumbup I will be doing a wheel project of my own soon, planning on building a set of bead locks for the bronco.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it looks a lot better with the new wheels bud :thumbup I will be doing a wheel project of my own soon, planning on building a set of bead locks for the bronco.
Definitely post up some pics when you get started. That should be cool.

Nice. When you going to do a 2011 front clip swap? :haha
I might do a cut 03-07 grill but not if i have to pay $250 for it.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
truck looks great. :rockon

btw, i HATE 316 stainless steel, it is non-magnetic. Im a janitor in a large machine shop, and we deal with that shit. i have to uber clean each machine that runs it, and then bag it separate from the rest of the stainless since it is worth more $$$. and the chips that it makes, Lord do they suck. they don't shovel or pitchfork well at all.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
truck looks great. :rockon

btw, i HATE 316 stainless steel, it is non-magnetic. Im a janitor in a large machine shop, and we deal with that shit. i have to uber clean each machine that runs it, and then bag it separate from the rest of the stainless since it is worth more $$$. and the chips that it makes, Lord do they suck. they don't shovel or pitchfork well at all.
But 316 is the way to go to avoid corrosion ;)

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
i don't know the difference between all the numbers, but in our stock lot we have all different types of stainless, and i have yet to see any of it rust or corrode unless it has non-stainless sitting on top of it. yes, our lot is a fawking mess :brownbag

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
That looks a 100% better Todd. I'm also going to be looking to change out the wheels on my Superduty. The original wheels are to the point where they don't come real clean anymore.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That looks a 100% better Todd. I'm also going to be looking to change out the wheels on my Superduty. The original wheels are to the point where they don't come real clean anymore.
That was my complaint, the stock wheels were pitted and pealing clearcoat. I guess I can't bitch too much for 11 years and 160k miles in Wisconsin but they turned ugly quick once they went bad.

The best part of this deal by far is the difference in wheel width. My 285s fit a lot better on the new wider 16x8 wheels. The tires are a more square profile and the ride and handling definitely is improved

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still no great pics during the day or a clean pic of the truck but the truck looks pretty good hauling 850lbs of scrap metal

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cleaned up and ready for winter

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
So was the $60 powder coating total price or per wheel price?

Looks nice! :thumbup

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So was the $60 powder coating total price or per wheel price?

Looks nice! :thumbup
$50 for 4 wheels sand blasted and $60 for 4 wheels powered coated. $110 total :thumbup

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You should level out the front with the rear.
Not for a truck that hauls quads and pulls trailers. Nothing sucks more than being nose up with a load

1 - 16 of 16 Posts