Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally after waiting almost 2 years since I got my winch bumper from Bronco air, I finally scraped up enough money to buy some new toys for the truck without me having to spend it on something house, DD, or something family related before I could pull the trigger. It just always seemed like something else came up whenever I got close. Luckily (for me), the union employees at my work went on strike at the end of last month, and I got about 100 hours of 1.5x overtime in the 3 weeks before the strike ended. 12-16 hours a day, 7 days a week is good for something, and looking forward to this was about the only thing that got me through it sometimes.

I ended up getting a Warn M12000 from Amazon for $1100 after rebate. That's the best price I've seen in awhile. I'm can't wait to get it here, and get it installed. Here's the winch from Amazon. I kept going back and forth between the cheaper Smittybilt XRC10 and Milemarker, but once you look at the specs, the Warn is SOOO much better. And, you can easily pull up dealers and parts diagrams from Warn's site, I couldn't find any repair info for the most of the cheaper winches. The one nice thing about the XRC10 is that it comes with Syn. line, which I really wanted, but I can wait a little while for that and it's an easy change when I can spare the coin again.

At least this will give me some piece of mine when out playing by myself. My son loves going out on light trails with me and I get so freaked out sometimes going through the muddy areas that are prevalent around here. My wife would kill me if I got stuck in the middle of nowhere with my 2yo in the back.

As for OBA. I had been planning to install the Bronco Air kit with a rebuilt York (bought the kit minus the York when I bought my bumper 2 years ago), but I really didn't want change my stock air intake and my PS pump. I ended up putting money on a cheaper system with a Viair 450C. It certainly won't be as nice as the York, but it has a 100% duty cycle, and with a 2.5 gallon tank, it should fill my tires from 20 to 35 coming off of the beach or after wheeling quickly and easily. Here is the Compressor from Amazon.

More than airing up tires, I've also had non-functional ARBs front and rear for almost 2 years. It can make a person feel really stupid spending big money on ARB diffs and then have people laugh when you spin one tire on each axle in the easiest of off road situations. As an example, this winter I got stuck in 6" of snow because I had one tire of each axle on ice. To make things worse, my wife drove right by me in our Suby in the same snow and ice and just waved as I was shoveling out. It's well past time to put the ARBs to work.

I've also changed my battery plans. I've been going back and forth on whether to go with Dual batteries or a bigger single battery to help with the winch, and now compressor. I didn't really want to be forced to go with a optima style, and that's the only way I could seem to make duals fit in the stock location. I've been looking at 7 different junk yards for a factory Ford dual battery tray and associated equipment and haven't been able to find anything in good shape. So I've decided to just go with a single Marine style group 31 battery. I'll still need to make some small modifications to the battery tray, but that should be as easy as welding on some 1" angle extension after cutting off two of the side rails. I don't really run anything when my truck is off, so the benefits of a dedicated "accessory" battery so I don't run down the starting battery is almost a moot point. Also, it's the same price as one optima, and I don't have to buy the new dual tray. So I'll get to save a little there. Here's the battery I'm getting.

For the alternator, I bought a wiring kit and 160A unit from Fireguy during his last sale, so I'll install that at the same time. Between the new battery and alternator, I should have enough juice to keep things running well.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just excited I can start working on the Bronco again. I haven't done anything new with it in probably a year. I miss spending late nights in the garage farking around with her.

I'll post up pictures in the next couple days as things arrive and I start the installation.

Don

-

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Nice bunch of upgrades. Looking forward to the updates

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
nice upgrades! share the pictures, you have nice heavy duty equipment whit that winch an OBA, time to take a ride!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the m12000 winch mounted today... Took a little longer than expected because I ended up putting a receiver tube on the front bumper as well. Didn't help my approach angle, but I needed it to help get my boat under the car-port I'm building and to mount a canoe rack on for camping trips to the lakes or rivers around here.

The hack-ed up Bronco air bumper and new receiver tube:

and the new winch all installed. Only have it temporarily wired up. I need to cut the wire a little shorter, soldier new ends on, and still have to install the new battery and alternator. Still, it works well as is and I can't wait to play with it for real. I hope it's a snowy winter again this year. I pulled out 5 people this year, and would have been twice as many if I had the winch.

This is why I need help getting boat under the car port. I have a nice bend in the driveway, and I only have 1/2" on each side to spare. I'm good at backing things up, but that's just too hard without being able to use the steering axle.

This is also a big reason why things are taking so long. I need to get the car-port done because I lost my previous storage space in my parents garage to my Dad's new '73 Vette.

Don

-

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Just make sure you have the jack all the way up on the boat trailer before getting to the street.

Looks like you are going to be having fun for a while, I started my sas before I came up to help you (Although I don't think I helped much....) and I haven't even started rebuilding my axles

If you make it to any tech games let me know. I am going to try and make the majority of them when Nursing School/work doesn't get in the way. I am only 2 hours from VT now, so it is a little easier.......

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just make sure you have the jack all the way up on the boat trailer before getting to the street.

Looks like you are going to be having fun for a while, I started my sas before I came up to help you (Although I don't think I helped much....) and I haven't even started rebuilding my axles

If you make it to any tech games let me know. I am going to try and make the majority of them when Nursing School/work doesn't get in the way. I am only 2 hours from VT now, so it is a little easier.......
Come on man, it wasn't the jack, it was the engines lower drive unit... The jack wouldn't have been a big deal. :eek:)

I still appreciate you coming up even if we didn't get much done because I was a little pissed off. Parents still do that to me sometimes.

The SAS will get done if it ever moves up the priority list... Seems like your keeping yourself plenty busy at the very least with tackle both school and work.

I'll be down for a couple games this year. I'll let you know when once I figure it out. :eek:)

Don

-

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice! What sized pulley did you get from Fireguy?
I can't remember Stan.. I'll be messing with the battery tray tomorrow night and I'll measure. I'm thinking it was stock size, but it's been a while since I got it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stan, et al,
I'm going to use the stock pulley... On my '96, the alternator pulley has a 2.75" OD, it's pretty small, so I wouldn't want to go much smaller anyway (thinking belt fatigue?). It's already the smallest pulley on the system. The crank is 6.75" OD, so it gives a ratio of 2.45. Based on the print-out that came with the FireGuy 160A alt, at idle, the new alt. puts out about 90A, which is only 5 amps under the MAX of the stock 3G alt. At 1300 RPM, it's putting out about 135A. Also, that means that the typical 15,000rpm max limit of the alt. is hit at around 6,120 engine RPM. If you make the pulley much smaller, it would be into max range pretty easy on high revs. That's thoughts anyway.

My idea would be that when pulling a load on the winch, just keep the engine rpms up around 1300. If my tires are turning, the rpms will probably be above that anyway, and if I'm sitting with my brakes on, it still should be pretty easy to maintain a high idle.

-

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the Battery and the new alternator installed last night... I'll throw up some pictures tonight hopefully, but I figured I post a summary now while I have the time at lunch. To my surprise, the installation of a Group 31M marine battery only required a very small modification to the stock tray. I had planned on extending the tray by about 2 inches, when all I had to do is move it away from the inner fender by about 3/8" with some washers between the bracket and the stock inner fender holes. All the bolts are long enough to still use and there was enough slope in all the other bolts to still bolt right into place. The only other thing I had to do was drill some holes at the base for a clamp style battery hold down since the stock battery uses a ledge at the bottom that the new battery doesn't have. Easy stuff and didn't take too long.

The alternator took a while, but only because I kept screwing up little things. This was the first time I've used a weather pack connector. I spent the better part of an hour trying to fit the male and female parts together incorrectly. Stupid I know. But they fit together to with about 1/16th of an inch if you try to put it together backwards... I kept thinking something was binding instead of looking at other fitment options. I'll try and show what I'm talking about in pictures later.

Everything is hooked up and working perfectly though. Nice upgrade for the small time involved.

-

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Continued from above:

Here is a shot of the washers I used to space the battery tray away from the side wall. Mainly just to show that it only took about 3/8" total:

The finished shot of the tray and the new 175A fuse:

And just a finished shot of the new 160A alternator and wiring. Using a ~2awg wire makes a huge difference in how things look. The old wire was probably around a #6-8awg.

I have to figure out what to do with the old jack and that space... Don't think it will do too much now with the 35's.

Don

-

1 - 13 of 13 Posts