Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the 91-96 models, DOT required that a third brake light be placed on top in addition to the seatbelts be atteched to the roof. does this mean that the 91-96 models roof isnt removable? if it is, how easy is it and howlong does it take? i want to get a soft top for the bronco but i want to be able to pu thte hard cover on every so often, ill pretty much keep it off for summer and just pu thte soft top on for rain and when its in a parking lot, then winter will have the hard top on.

·
crank trigger
8,155 Posts
not big enough of a deal to worry about. so some searches, i know i have seen a thread in here somewhere about removing the top. i remember it being just a bit more of a pain.

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
Removal is easy. You'll need a tamper torx bit to do it or IIRC you can find the instructions on how to make the Ttorx just a torx with a little drimmel time on here somewhere.... Search for top removal and tamper torx and you should find all the relevant info. Fog

·
I see Broncos
6,011 Posts
Technically removing the roof is illegal only on 92-96 models, but you have to find a really hard-up cop to give you a ticket for that.

As for instructions I have a link in my sig for my tech article.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i hear that once you take the top of that its a pain in the ass to get back on and also that there is air and road noise like no other from gaps in the weatherstripping.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
*bo* said:
i hear that once you take the top of that its a pain in the ass to get back on and also that there is air and road noise like no other from gaps in the weatherstripping.
A nice bead of silicone fixes that good as new :thumbup

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I've had my top off and have not had problems with air or road noise. I don't think it is that big of an issue if you take care of the seals while the top is off.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
i had mine on and off and no issues. no new noise or leaks. it takes 15 min to get it of and 15 min to get it back one. if your worried abount the 3rd brake light get on out of a car ot trucu or universal one and mount to the spare tire rack. then you can forget the one in the shell. for the seat belts if no one sits in back then do not worry lay the belts in a plactic bag and be done, but if someone does use the back install a roll bar with leg to the rear and attch the seatbelt top bung to the roll bar and then no issues or get rear seatbelts out of an earler bronco. the 92 on has a rear bar support and roof reinforcements for the belts. you most likly want to get allen or hex bolts to replact the "Safety" "security" bolts.....mike

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have removed mine also with no problems of road noise, as for the bolt removal it does require some patience cause they are metric threads( I think) but never had anyone give me crap about the 3rd brake light. The top comes off easy but you'll definately need help, it's heavy.:thumbup

·
Registered
75 Posts
Will an older roof bolt on the newer style?

I dont plan on running a back seat so I can ditch the rear seatbealt altogether...

·
Registered
56 Posts
topfisherman said:
I've had my top off and have not had problems with air or road noise. I don't think it is that big of an issue if you take care of the seals while the top is off.
hey man i was talkin bout when you put it back on the bronco.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
*bo* said:
hey man i was talkin bout when you put it back on the bronco.

Yeah, he's saying while you have it off, don't let it sit on anything funny that would mess the seals up, and everything should be fine.

Just curious, has anyone else ever put anything on their seals to help rejuvenate them while the top is off? Like some armorall or whatever?

If you really are worried, you can either put some silicone on the contact surfaces, or get new seals from JBG.

·
Registered
507 Posts
from a lot of what everyone above me said.

my friend has an 85 bronco. and the 2 of us took it off in no more than 13 minutes. it was a little hard to move around etc. but i would consider 3 people just to be safe. putting it back on was a hastle (we had three people this time and the biggest part was getting it to fit correctly). just make sure it is aligned correctly and your good to go. also make sure your seals are still good when you put the top back on.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I guess all of the trucks are different, but I take mine off often and the seals and road noise is fine. The rear seat belts are still usable also. Just use it as a lap belt and stick the belt holder thing down in the seat. My sons car seat gets cinched down using those rear seat belts. It works.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
BrentR. said:
I've never heard that before. Where did you hear that?
You're removing the center high mounted brake light, which is DOT required I think. You'll never hear a cop say anything about it though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Does anyone knwo if an older roof bolt on the newer style?
(meaning no belts and third brake light)

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,012 Posts
80-96 are all interchangeable... some older ones apparently have a small prong sticking off ad that needs to be ground down to fit but otherwise the difs are just the 3rd brake light and seatbelt attach points

as far as messing up the seals... the one around the cab is a seal just like the weatherstripping around doors... dont pinch it or f it up and it'll be fine... around the bed is just some rubbery tape strips... easily replaceable... but all will be fine as long as you don't screw up.... there's no factory sealant or anything to break loose for the first time or anything.... it's pretty much like opening a door and then closing it

oh and for 92-96s... i bought the tamper hex tool from pepboys for next to nothing... but the bolts can be replaced once out if you are worried about having to use the speacial tool

1 - 20 of 51 Posts