Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Come to find out a 3.92+ carrier for a D44 doesn't have enough room between the teeth on the ring gear and cross pin for the pin to come out without taking off the ring gear. So here I am with the ring gear off the carrier and I'm not sure if the ring gear bolts are supposed to be torqued down or just tightened down (equally of course). I can't find any torque specs for it, so I'm guessing it's a generally accepted figure or I tighten down accordingly? I did read in a thread on here (see, I know how to search :goodfinge ) that the figure was 60 ft. lbs. but no one confirmed that. Help please.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Go ahead and install the ring gear with the cross pin installed in the carrier. It will not we able to slide out due to interference from one of the ring gear teeth. At this point you need to grind just enough off of the tip of the ring gear tooth that is interfering to let the cross pin slide out. Here is a crappy pic of when I installed the 4.56's in my D44.

You're not removing much, maybe 1/16" to 1/8" of material. Remove just enough to let the cross pin slide out and no more. As for torque, 60 ft-lb sounds fine, although I can't remember the spec off the top of my head. Use some red loc-tite on the treads first.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about doing that but the idea of shaving material off the gear worried me a little, didn't know if it was a good idea or not. Thanks for the advice though. I did get the pin out and back in, after taking off the ring gear....boo.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
I don't know the spec without looking at a manual, but yes, you definitely want to torque the ring gear bolts. You also want to clean up any old threadlocker as best you can and then apply new RED loctite. Ring gear bolts commonly back out if installed wrong and this will eventually create some interesting carnage.

Don't force the ring gear too much with the bolts, if it won't suck on there heat it up first and it will drop into place.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Yes, you need to torque it and follow ttblows suggestions on the locktite. You should be able to get it together without grinding it on the 4.56.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts