Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so not really new but i'll be getting my first ever bronc in a few weeks (provided the guy doesn't sell it out from under me) gonna cost me 900 and its a 79 to boot. Now as for my questions

I dont really know anything about the trannys that shipped in these beast and i know even less about the 400 that is in it. So my first question is what tranny do you guys think it is that is in it and trans case i do know the tranny is a 4speed manual. The guy that has it bought it from someone else that had the 400 and t case rebuilt so he couldn't tell me what tcase it was. My engine question basiclly is what are the issues that the 400's have. I seem to remember back in the day hanging out at the drag strip with my dad and hearing something about the 390s and 351m's having oil problems but i was young and dont really remember what all was said. Any info will help and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i do have some pics of the bronc to if you guys can tell me how to go about adding them i can put them up and let you see....supposed to be getting more tommarrow

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
It is probably an NP435 trans, they also came with a T-18 trans. You can tell the difference by looking at the shift plate cover. A 435 trans has an aluminum shift cover and the t-18 used a steel cover. Is it full time or part time 4wd? Check this thread, there is a lot of information there. You can tell what T-case you have by the shift pattern.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106384

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
broncs in another part of the state so i haven't actually put my hands on it to know if its full or part time (appears to have manual lock outs so my guess is partime) the guys is sending me pics of the undercarriage (checking for rot) so hopefully i will get a decent pic of the trans/case and can tell from that. thanks for the link by the way

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did a search couldn't really find what i was looking so adding another tranny question. Anyone know anything about hooking up a od tranny in place of the 4 speed?

·
Registered
97 Posts
a zf 5spd from a 460 can be made to work.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i wouldn't mind a 460...matter of fact my dad has a 429 that i built in highschool at his house that lost the cam after about 5 miles that i will probably steal back from...but with 400 sitting on a fairly fresh rebuild I plan to just run that till i blow it pieces...i'm still wondering about the oiling probs on the 400s like i said i can't remember its been to long since i heard about and am hoping the builder of the engine new about it and corrected the problem. Guess i will find out the first time i wrap it hard.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
ZF-5. The guy told you a ZF-5 FROM a 460 can be made to fit.

As discussed above the bellhousing is integral so that is the one that fits our 400 blocks.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
btw. a 400 doesn't have any oiling problems - at least as far as 99% of us are concerned. It is not unusual to hear of engines running for YEARS showing zero oil pressure.

That is some kind of urban myth. Be great if bmc69 would weigh in with his opinion of the mythical oiling problems.

A lot of guys will tell you any imagined problems can be fixed with a short piece of hose & a "tee".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts