Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's it going everyone, just thought I'd introduce myselft to FSB. I had been looking into getting a new vehicle for a while and like everything else i do, I research a lot before I make a decision. My wife gave me the go-ahead in July and I found a 1996 Eddie Bauer on Craigslist w/168k miles, small oil leak, strong motor, and decent/good tranny (researched the strong thump and clunk while going in reverse, guess that's a common thing). Coming from an International Scout II family I over heard my brother tell his friend about my choice of a Bronco, "Yeah, my brother's smart, he didn't get a Scout (chuckle)". I feel Broncos are much more accommodating and have many more options of replacement/upgrades, plus EFI and OBDII is just great lol. I have read many threads on FSB since July, you guys have answered so many of my questions! Over the following years I plan on building a strong daily driver/pop-up hauler for camping up in Woods Canyon on the Rim with the wife. So far I have just about completed the famous "SixLitre Tuneup", just gotta get in the garage and change the plugs and advance the timing (progress is a slow process, as it seems with most of us on FSB) and I'm currently working on getting exhaust parts, so far I have bought a AeroChamber 3" CIn/COut and planning on Magnaflow 3" tailpipe, Magnaflow 99009HM cat, Flowmaster Scavenger Y Collector and custom Y, and not too sure about headers yet. My truck is pretty much rust free that I know about, minus simple rust underneath. So yeah, thanks for such a great site that newbies like me can run to like a security blanket because I'm sure you have all had your moments of :whiteflag and need some helpful advice. I'll be around, here and there, to ask a question or two if I can't find it through hours of research and maybe with a little time ill be able to throw my little .2 of experienced knowledge around. Anyways, I wish everyone health and happiness throughout the upcoming holidays as well as success and a little bit of luck with their Broncos/Rigs. Thanks again, Rob. Happy TurkeyDay! :beer

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,149 Posts
Welcome & congrats!! Post up some pics of that 96. :thumbup

As for the clunk when going into reverse, don't ignore it. Sometimes it is a from a driveshaft/u-joint issue, which can cause severe damage if let go. Sometimes it is as simple as a bad mount. My son broke the extension between trans & t-case on his 90 by ignoring the thump.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, it's good to be here :thumbup

Actually the thump was a lot worst. My brother and I had went to test drive it and we checked the automatic 4x4 on dry asphalt (later found out thats not the best idea, I guess its meant to be engaged on a slippery/loose ground surface, so I have read). Anyways, the thump and clunk was really bad until I got it on some gravel hit the 4x4 on drove 20ft, turned it off, reversed 30ft and heard a few "clinks", put it in 4-Low and repeated the proccess, and since then the reverse thump and clunk has almost entirely gone away, with the exception of a small thump. Not sure if engaging auto 4x4 on dry asphalt was the issue, but so far it's engaging reverse a lot better now! I'll be sure to check everything out though, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And I'll post some pictures soon (sorry for another post, not sure how to edit or quote yet).

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,715 Posts
Welcome to our Home, Please take the time and click on the "VOTE for TOP 4X4 SITE" so we can get more exposure and Members as yourself...

Thanks,
Allcruisen :imp :usa

·
Registered
92 Posts
Welcome! Love to see some pics! I have a 1995 and wish I had OBDII! Got an OBDII scanner and nothing to use it on!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fish Hatchery up on the Rim

One with the missus..

This is what we took camping before the Bronco.. Lol Big Mama Red held up pretty good on the terrible Apache Trail!

And a few to show off beautuful Arizona...

Apache Lake

Bear Canyon Lake

Arvaipa Wilderness

Got a good picture of a group of Arizona's state mammal, the ringtailed cat. Can't even tell how many there are here but it was cool to see them.

Life has been busy lately but the wife and I are planning on taking a trip soon so I'll have some actual bronco pictures.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome! Love to see some pics! I have a 1995 and wish I had OBDII! Got an OBDII scanner and nothing to use it on!
Yeah, makes things a little simpler, for me at least. Plus you can get apps like this:

I wish the bronco could use all the options though, guess it can't read Manifold Absolute Pressure or oil temp, among others. But its gonna be good to see MPG gains after I put my exhaust on. I'm at about 12.2MPG as of right now, which ain't bad seeing that is about 80% city driving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts