Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a few searches just could not find just what i am looking for. I want to purchase 4.11 gears and limited slips for front and rear. I have d44 fr w/3.55 fr and ford 8.8 w/ 3.54 rr. What do I need to buy, can these be installed by general mechanic or is this a specialty. Also if I do not change gearin out is there a lsd. I can install myself. I have breazed over suppliers and I have no clue how many spline, or how to find this info. Thought I would ask.Thanks to all!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
alot of times you can find package deals in the magazines for gears,limited slip,or locker, and master install kits

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
91xlt said:
I did a few searches just could not find just what i am looking for. I want to purchase 4.11 gears and limited slips for front and rear. I have d44 fr w/3.55 fr and ford 8.8 w/ 3.54 rr. What do I need to buy, can these be installed by general mechanic or is this a specialty. Also if I do not change gearin out is there a lsd. I can install myself. I have breazed over suppliers and I have no clue how many spline, or how to find this info. Thought I would ask.Thanks to all!!
If you can rebiuld a motor from the ground up then you should be able to do gear work.

You will need a 12 ton or larger shop press, dial indicator, dial calipar, an inch pound and a foot pound torque wrench, bearing seperator(a.k.a. cheese cutter), various BFH's and SFH's. Air tools make some things easier. You'll also need all the normal hand tools as well.

You also have to be comfortable dealing with measurements in the thousandths and doing thing many times until it's correct.

There's no such thing as a "pop in" lds. You could put in a lunch box locker like a Lock Right. All you need for that is a minimal skill level and basic hand tools.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
dogonmut said:
If you can rebiuld a motor from the ground up then you should be able to do gear work.
I don't think this is true at all. I know a lot of engine guys who won't go near a differential. I fully agree with the rest, though.

A search for gear vendors would bring up many names of good people to buy from. I prefer Randy's Ring and Pinion. Just call them up, tell them what you want to do, and they'll get you what you need. Get gears and master install kits and you'll be set. You'll also need a new carrier for the D44.

Installing gears is specialty work. Don't just drop them off at any old shop unless you know through references that they do good gear work. A bad gear job turns into a nightmare in a hurry.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Larston said:
I don't think this is true at all. I know a lot of engine guys who won't go near a differential.
True but it's a good guage to tell if you have the mechanical abality to do it.

I'm a "gear guy" not a "motor guy" but I could and have done rebuild's.

...see where I'm coming from.

I get 99% of my rear end parts from Randy's. I pretty much only use Yukon gears and have had nearly 0 problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts