Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am glad I found this site. I just bought a 96 Bronco XLT with the E40D tranny. Light blue exterior w/ a 3" lift. It has 126K miles, paid $6000. too much$$? I used to build hondas and race them, yes I am sort of a ricer with a 13 second civic natural aspirated. Tired of the BS in the import scene, want to try wheeling now. :rebelflag I work on the cars whenever I am not too lazy. Otherwise, someone will be paid for it. :slap

There are some problems with the bronco, the ABS light is ON, and the speedometer jumps alot. Slow leak around the tranny gasket and oil pan gasket. 3 nutz are missing from the oil pan. And slow diff fluid leak on the front diff. Other than the leaks, the car is really clean at the bottom. Never been wheeled before, no rust. Need to change out the seats, the driver seat is sort of torn and worn out. Thanks to the fat dude who used to own it.

Did a search and I read it is possibly the ABS sensors tripping the ABS light.
I cleaned out the rear sensor, but still could not resolve it. Will be trying to pull codes from the module.

I will be replacing the 3 nutz on the oil pan+tighten the others. Doing the tranny fluid+filter change tonight.

Does anyone know where I can find direct replacement seats for the Bronco? Or is there any other ford model that share the same seats/seat rails?

Its amazing how the 351 like to drop their nutz and drip its fluid all over the place. :goodfinge

Choon
(yes, I am asian)

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
SiFreak said:
I just bought a 96 Bronco XLT
:thumbup

SiFreak said:
I am sort of a ricer with a 13 second civic
:twak

Well your learning. Welcome to our addiction. You will love it.
Your ABS/speedo is a very easy fix. There is a VSS (velocity Speed Sensor) on the top of the rear axle. It controls your rear ABS, speedometer, and your tranny. It is a $25 part from Ford and just takes a few minutes to remove and replace. Very easy. The tranny leak is as simple as getting a new gasket. While you are there get a new filter for it. When you get the filter the gasket comes with it. Your oil pan is a little tougher. Actually it is a substantial pain in the ass. With that many miles, if the leak is not too bad I would just leave it and check the level every once in a while. You will probably want to rebuild the engine at some time in the future and you can fix that then. The front diff is also a pain in the ass. The axle shafts need to be pulled out in order to replace the gasket and seals. It is easier than the oil pan it just takes some time. Now lets see some pics :beer

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

I tried cleaning out the VSS, it did not work. Guess I will go to Ford and pick up a new sensor. I am getting to love the bronco, it's just been 2 days.

I have 32"x11.5 tires on the car and they look tiny compared to the 3 inch lift. Any suggestions what tires would look bigger? Should I do 35 inchx12.5?
I plan to do mild 4x4 and do lots of towing.

Anybody tried putting Explorer seats into their 80-96 Bronco?

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
893 Posts
35x12.5 looks sweet. go for it, but ur gonna need 6 inches of lift, or major trimming

·
Bronco Master
596 Posts
90bronconate said:
35x12.5 looks sweet. go for it, but ur gonna need 6 inches of lift, or major trimming
Or just keep the 8" wide wheels with 4" of backspacing and the 35" tires should clear. I ran a 4" lift with 35's for years. I had no rubbing issues except for the radius arms. I didn't have to trim anything on the 87. I think there is a bumper issue on the 92+ that requires the slightest bit of cutting. Most 3" suspension lifts are the same brackets as a 4" lift, but with a 3" spring. So going to a 4" lift will just take a set of coils and a camber adjustment.

Welcome to our nightmare. I bet you'll start missing the Civic's MPG in the next week or so :banghead My girlfriend's 02 EX gets 34 mpg in the city :lowblow

Mitch

·
Registered
138 Posts
If your going to be towing with it as much as you say, dont go bigger than 33's without a gear change. Otherwise your really going to feel the trailer and put an extra amount of strain on the trans.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,279 Posts
Welcome to the site man... :beer :beer :beer ..Glad to hear you're enjoying your new rig/Bronco (not car)...Anyhow, Pepe' did an Explorer seat swap in his Bronco, he might have some more info about it. Again, welcome aboard.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,532 Posts
90bronconate said:
thats misinformation......Ive run 35s on 4" for a while before I did my axle swap. It works fine and hardly rubbed at all, and yes I wheeled it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello all, thanks for the suggestions. I will try to look for Explorer Seats or just get the seat reupholstered.

Yes, the gas mileage would suck compared to a civic or integra, but I feel so much safer sitting up high and having real steel around me(compared to coke can sheet metals).

Maybe I should just get 33x12.5 tires to get rid of the wheel gap. My ricer instinct tells me the tires are too small.

Here are some pics of the rig:

·
Registered
502 Posts
This guy is parting out a '96.

I have been trying to figure out my ABS problem for awhile. I have the same symptoms as you: ABS light and jumping speedo. Unfortunately it is not always the easy fix. I think I have narrowed mine down to the ABS pump or the instrument cluster, I have checked everything else. I would try pulling codes and see if they give you any info to work with. If you do figure it out I sure would be interested to know what you did.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had the same problem with the speedo and ABS, also the cruise would not work all the time. Ended up being the exciter ring in the rearend, it had a few teeth that were barely chipped but it was enough to screw up readings to the sensor. I tried the sensor, changed fluid and sent the speedo out to be checked before we found out the ring was the problem. Take a close look at it, you may have the same thing wrong. Good luck and WELCOME! :thumbup

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just bought a new VSS and we'll see if that is it.
I pulled out the current one in the car 2 days ago and it looks a little beat up.

Choon

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Nice Truck, Welcome :beer
Yeah, tires are small......... not just that you are used to looking at ricers with coil overs, etc.....
33's would look great. Good luck man :thumbup

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I put in the new VSS, still have a ABS light. Maybe I should reset the ECU, right?
I will be changing out the f&r differentials tomorrow, we shall see if the rings are still good. :)

94 XLT BRONCO, I sense the tires looks a little small for the car. :) Still thinking on what to get. 33x10.5 or 33x12.5?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts