Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very new to the Bronco world. My father passed away and I inherited his 1983 Bronco. I have no exp working on cars so I am learning as I go. He had been woking on it, but now I can't ask him what he had done. I had to replace the accelerator cable, when I did I noticed the idle was very high 2000 rpm in neutral, and in drive would not go below 1000, any suggestions.

2nd problem when replacing the cable I noticed the vaccum hose going to the EGR valve was not connected, I connected the hose, resulted in Bronco running like crap. RPM's jump all over the place while below 2000 rmp's and backfires like crazy. Will it hurt anything to bypass the EGR valve? I live in KS and there are no inspections so that won't matter.

One last issue I need to find someplace to order a knob for the windshied wiper control. There is no knob and the vice grips just aren't doing it. Any suggestions there?

Thanks in advance for your help it would be greatly appreciated. I look foward to learinng alot about the Bronco.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,961 Posts
Howdy and welcome! Your in the right spot for your Bronco info. Sorry to hear the loss of your father. Not the greatest way to come into ownership of a bronc. I'm dreading that day when I inherit my grandfathers.

Also sorry I can't help with the motor problems, I'm an EFI kind of guy. I can help you with your missing knob. Same type was used from 80-91 in the broncos and entire Fseries. Just drop buy your local junkyard with a thin flathead screwdriver and pop one off.

Fill out your profile and sig so we know what your workin with when you get a chance

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Get a dremel and a small set screw, you can fix your wiper or light nobs that way...as far as the others, chek with Fireguy, he has an EGR bypass, other than that, hook up your vaccums and see what you got....out of the bosx, a BKO is as good a vehicle as walks...

·
Banned
32,511 Posts
Sounds like you have the wrong throttle cable, or you don't have it set into the bracket correctly. It has a grooved collar that slips into & around the bracket, and then the screw holds it in place. I'm guessing you don't have it all the way in, making it effectively shorter, which is holding the throttle open.

If that's not the case, then see if the throttle is fully closed, against the stop screw on the side of the carb.

If it is, listen for a big vacuum leak with the engine at idle. You certainly have one thru the EGR vacuum control circuit, which is why it has to be disconnected. One of the Thermal Vacuum Valves (TVVs) is stuck open, or bypassed. Check the vacuum map under the hood somewhere or here.

Add some info about the truck to your profile so it always shows under your username. If you don't know what it has, post the 8th digit of the VIN (not the whole thing) & the codes from the bottom of the door sticker.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm guessing I don't have the throttle cable set correclty. I'll take a look at it in the morning. Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll have MANY more ?'s. I've already found the answers to some of them through the search feature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts