Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving over this dirt mound and huge puddle I began to hear a weird noise. It was coming from the driver front. I cant really hear it until I am over 25 miles and hour and then it gets louder. I assume it could be the hub since thats what everyone seems to have problems with. Please tell me how to check.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it kinda sounds like a piece of somthing is dragging on the ground. But I couldnt see anything that would cause it.

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
I suggest locking them, and see if it goes away. You don't have to shift the transfer case to 4x4, just lock the hubs.

·
huh
7,195 Posts
raise the front and move the tire to see if your bearings are toast.. water does some bad things to wheel bearings..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It does it in 4 wheel drive as well.

What do I look/listen for when checking the bearings?

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Whenyou tires are off the ground, and you have the front axle supported on jack stands, grab the tire top and bottom, and give it a shake.. If you can see/feel the wheel moving at all, now would be a good time to disassemble your hubs, and take a look at the bearings. It might be worth it to have a complete set of bearings on hand before you get started... both inner and outer, for both sides.

While it's on stands, now would be a good time to check over the rest of the front end - ball joints, tie rod ends, drag link, and axle joints

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I lifted it up and shook it and didnt see/feel anything. But I am gonna have a friend look at it. Should it be ok to drive it like this or am I risking breaking somthing?

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
If it has that dragging sound, I don't think I'd drive it. It does sound like the bearings shit the bed. Have your friend head over with the full set of bearings and prepare for a couple hours' worth of work

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would check and see if it is maybe the brake dust shield. It happened to me i was hearing a grinding noise when i went throught some mud and it ended up that i bent the dust shield up and it was grinding on the rotor.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I changed the bearings and the noise is gone. It took me 3 hours and it was definately a learning experience.

Thanks for the help everyone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts