Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting an 85 bronco on Friday, and had a few questions.
1. How do the locking hubs work...doesn't selecting the 4wd on the t-case put it in 4wd?
2. if you have to lock the hubs to use 4wd, can you leave them locked 24/7?
3. depending on the above, would there be any use to switching to auto hubs?

Pardon my ignorance, I've had 2 4wd fords...one was a 97 and the other was 2002...just needed to turn the little switch on the dash for those.:toothless

Also is there anything specific that you would check before you bought this truck?

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
423 Posts
1. Selecting 4wd on the TC engages the front axle, but it will spin freely until you lock the hubs [to the axle]
2. Don't just leave them locked, it'll just cause alot of unnecessary wear
3. Auto hubs are not as reliable as manual.

There is alot of info on this site. Use the search function to find it. You could read for days.

·
Registered
199 Posts
as for checking out the truck....do the "usual" check for rust (common areas for our trucks are the wheel wells, and the bottom of our tail gates), see if the owner has good records of the maintenance, look at the frame at each end of the truck (see if has been welded or in an accident) look at the door jams, miscolored paint etc.

it all depends on what you are looking for. if you are looking for perfection obviously you overlook the truck and maybe have a mechanic come with you, if your using it as a play toy, may not have to look AS hard.

whatever you decide to do, there are A LOT of guys and girls on this site that will help you fix your bronco till the cows come home, just do yourself and the others on the website a favor and utilize the search function of this website.

People on this website will save you lots of time and money with all the information here

o ya WELCOME TO FSB.COM!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all...I went and test drove the truck today. I found out that it is an 87 not an 85. It has the fuel injection...kinda wish it didn't, but it'll do for now. It ran smooth, but lifters were ticking a little, and the fast idle did not work. The steering was pretty loose, but if I remember right, there is an adjustment to tighten it up...or I could swap out the steering box. I tested the 4wd, and it worked well. I can't wait to change the gears as it is sluggish from a start. Overall, I think that it is a good truck. There seems to be a little oil leaking between the engine and tranny...probably the rear main seal. It's very minor and the rearend had a few drops under it, but the dealer is going to change the gasket on the rear. I drove it for a bit, and it sounded smooth. I didn't hear any wierd noises. I was pretty impressed that the back glass rolled up and down. The interior is really nice for an 87. For whatever reason, rust is nonexistent on this truck. I guess that no one really used it off road much. I will post some pics this weekend after I pick it up. My reason for buying this truck is to haul building supplies and tools to my homesite as I build my house, but I think that it will be a fun project in the near future. BWhahahaha

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The efi doesn't scare me, but I am more familiar with carbs. I know a couple of late model efi tricks, but I don't know if they will work on this 1st gen stuff. Speaking of which, does anyone know about the hypertech or jet chips for the efi 302? I will search later.

Cracker, I will check again for rust...the main places I looked were inside the fender wells and inside the frame. Overall, I can't wait to pick it up and have a truck again.

·
Registered
511 Posts
From what I have heard, chips dont really work on our trucks. Best way to get power out of your truck is replacing the exhaust and doing a sixlitre tune up, again from what I have read.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figured the chip thing was worthless...tried one on a pt cruiser with bad results.

So, after a little searching, I gather that the "Sixliter Mod" consists of cap, rotor, wires, plugs, coil, and a slight retard to 13*btdc. If I've missed anything let me know.

The muffler may get changed in favor of a louder one, but the rest will have to wait until summer. I think that lightening up the truck with a gear change will probably do what I want.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You got the sixlitre right, except you are actually advancing the timing to 13*.

I just did the sixlitre to my truck (the same year and engine as yours) and its awesome. It has pinging at 13* so I ended up settling on 11*, but still, the truck idles better, has better throttle repsonse, and is getting better fuel economy (3 mpg)....all for $138 and a couple of hours of work.
(SEE sixlitre tuneup thread in Technical Write Ups-
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63592&highlight=timing+bump
I got the Ford 9mm wires, MSD cap/rotor, MSD coil, and Motorcraft copper plugs gapped to 0.55. (If you decide to do this, remember that your SPOUT connecter may be hard to locate; it is near the bottom of your dist and is a dead end wire with a cap that you pull out to disconnect it...it was in a different place for most other year Broncos)

If you are just looking for sound, you might want to do the muffler....but apparently it does nothing for you except for sound unless you replace the y-pipe and cat. Im in the process of doing this entire manifold-back exhasut change right now. Guys on here talk about 2-4 mpg gains with a better y-pipe, high-flow cat, and 2.5"-3" tubing.

Mine came with the rare factory 4:10 rear, and coupled with the C6 tranny (3 speed, no OD), mine is up around 2800 rpm at highway speeds...you dont want to be doing too much highway driving with that set up. You could have the AOD tranny (w/ OD) or the 3:55 rear or both though. You may want to check it out if you are doing much highway time to your new house, could hurt you in gas.

Welcome to FSB, there is much to be learned here and good folks to help you out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wooooooo Hooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's official.

I am the proud owner of a slighty used 1987 Ford Bronco!!!!:rockon:rockon:rockon:rockon:rockon:rockon

Pics to follow soon.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Big Daddy, congrtas. Now listen up;

1). Pics.

2). Truck info.

3). Mod(s) info.

4). And some pics of your girl friend.

(You can do the above in any order you wish)..........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts